Cut off touring-upholstery??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Cut off touring-upholstery??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Van Wy on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 12:35 am:

Have 23-25 cut off touring. Will roadster upholstery kit work or can i buy front half of touring kit or do i have to have it done locally at upholstery shop? Any ideas will help. Thanks. Richard Van Wy. Email @ dvanwy@webtv.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 02:04 am:

Richard-
Just buy a kit for a runabout.
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 10:23 pm:

Richard,

I think the roadster kit will work good for you. But I was surprised when I checked Cartouche Upholstery at: http://www.cartoucheupholstery.com/index.asp They list the same door and kick panels for the 1916-1922 and then for 1923-25. But I would have thought the low cowl 1923 model would have been the same as the 1922 model. (I also would have thought the 1915 and 1916 kick panels would have been the same – but they are listed separately also.)

Does anyone have experience with using their 1923-25 kick panels in a low cowl 1923 body? Or any other thoughts on that one?

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve S on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 04:36 pm:

I think it is a matter of convention. Some places hanlde the low wall 23 by referring to it as a 22...or so I think. Some carry 17 to 23, then 23-25, others make the break at 22 and treat 23 as a model year with no changes. Just my 2 cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 12:43 pm:

I would be very careful of buying a CarTouche kit. I have a friend who bought one, and for me, I would not use it. I used a bottom spring from a '24 touring in my '25 roadster, and the patterns I used for the seat back came from a '25 touring, so I would assume the roadster upholstery is the same as the touring. I have another friend who used a kit from CarTouche, and the binding for the upholstery came unglued in the heat. I've heard that Classtique in Minnesota makes a good kit, but haven't seen their stuff. Contact Mark Cameron, he speaks highly of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff rey L. Vietzke on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 01:38 pm:

My Cartouche door panels came apart in the heat also. Delaminated. Snyders sent me new ones at no cost, but I still haven't put them on. As for the seats (1915 touring), I had to do extensive stitching to close off the open pleats so that I could add BAGS of stuffing that the upholstery lacked. It looks fine now, and it's going on 3 years old already, but man, what a lot of work.
Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 09:30 pm:

One of my Model T gurus recently put a Cartouche interior kit in his '26 tudor. (He's 84 and has been doing this for a while.) He had to rework virtually every piece of the kit to get it to work in his car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:49 pm:

Well -- it looks like the comments so far for Cartouche beg the question -- "Is there an upholstery kit company folks would recommend Richard to check with?"

And whichever company you go with -- be sure you order the kit for the type you’re your car has (low or high).

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Van Wy on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:16 pm:

Thanks everyone. I was looking at Cartouch as they have a sale going on, but will rethink it. Mac`s says Door kick & hip panels not included in kit. I know what kick panels are, but what are HIP panels. Any further suggestions? Thanks. Richard Van Wy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:34 pm:

Although I don't have any personal experience with their products, I've heard only good comments about the JV Group's kits. Many folks here on the forum have recommended them. And if Mark Cameron is satisfied with Classtique's products, they should be good enough for any Model T'er.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:57 pm:

Richard
The hip panel is used in a coupe. You would have a bottom seat and the back seat with the upholstery. The hip panel is the upholstered card board on the body next to your hip on both sides of the body. On a open car the seat back upholstery and sides,(hip) are made as one unit. I am restoring a 1926 coupe at this time and have the upholstered hip panels. Leon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Parker on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 01:41 pm:

I have installed a Cartouche kit(2003)and a Classtique kit (2008) on a closed car. These are some of my observations about the differences between the 2 kits.
HEADLINER: The seams on the CL headliner are not visible. You staple to bows 3 & 4 and then the front, sides and back. I found this easier than the CA kit where you stapled to all the bows which increases the "wrinkle potential." I installed my headliner with the top still on. It is likely a little more difficult but it can be done and the end result is the same.
PANELS - (above, below and each side of the rear window): The CL panels are left unfinished on one edge so that you locate and tailor fit fasteners to your particular car. Although it takes longer, it is not difficult to do. When finished, you glue the final edge of the fabric down. The CA panels already have the fasteners installed. This is OK if they line up with the body holes. Mine did not. You are then are faced with either cutting off the nail fasteners that do not line up or repositioning them or reworking the cardboard panel and regluing the fabric. Your mileage may vary.
DOOR & HIP PANELS: CA panels use the nail fasteners which are all pre-installed. This is fine if the holes line up. Mine did not. The CL panels use clips(like the Model A) which allow for a small degree of adjustment. Mine popped in perfectly.
SEATS: I opted to have an upholstery shop do the seats. Both kits fit well but I believe the CL is more authentic in the stiching and seams.
CARPET: This technically is not part of the upholstery kit. The fit of the CL carpet was perfect. It is well made. The area around the pedals is cut out as a rectangle rather than slotted. I think this was the factory way. The CA carpet required modification to make it fit.
COWLS: CL cowls were a perfect fit and included a small flap that extended down to the floor to cover the floor area. CA cowls did not include the flap and fit was not as precise.
The CL is about 15% more expensive than the CA kit. Price specials might change that calculation. My understanding is that Classtique at one time both manufactured and installed kits and so I think they know and understand potential installation difficulties and design their kits accordingly.
I would highly recommend the use of an upholstery stapler(air). I found this far superior to electric in that it drove the upholstery staples in better and located them more precisely. Also, do not be in a hurry. Take your time! I am speaking as an amateur here. I have no doubt that a professional could make either kit look great.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration