Dupli-Color "Paint Shop"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Dupli-Color "Paint Shop"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 02:32 pm:

I was just watching the Speed Channel and there was a little segment on a new paint....Dupli-Color "Paint Shop" system. The website says it is a lacquer paint. Looks like it comes in quart cans that are ready to spray using a regular paint gun. It has a primer, color, and clear coat. Anyone tried it?

Here's a link...
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/paintshop.html

Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 03:58 pm:

Verne
Looks like it is worth looking into. I see i can even buy it in Canada locally. Probably not for show cars but i don't own those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 07:38 pm:

Les,
I think you may be right about the paint not being for show cars. The pictures on TV & the Internet didn't look like it had too much shine...even tho they said it had been rubbed out. Might be good for an old beater. Looks like the colors are limited too, but they did have black!
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:43 am:

Advance auto carrys that paint.19.95 a quart.Ready to squirt right out of the can.I am fiqureing on trying it on my 47 pontiac as it AINT show quality by no means.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael F. Thomas on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 09:40 am:

I Have been painting for close to 40 years now. I started out with the old "Dulux" enamel, then went to lacquer, then Centari, and now the new clear and base coat. I have learned that the most important step is preparation before the top coat. That preparation is 95% of the work. The top coat only shows off all your mistakes. Good painters are perfectionists. They work and work until they take care of every little detail, and then they paint it. By far, the easiest paint system to use, is the new base and clear. It is also the most durable, unless you want to go to powder coat, which isn't paint, or Imeron, which is just another form of plastic, like powder coat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 02:14 pm:

My take on this Dupli Color "Paint Shop" system is that it is kind of like buying 50 / 50 anti freeze and water in the convenient premixed jugs. It saves you from having to think about mixing the paint with the reducer, or the primer with the thinner. It is probably easier for the person who does not plan to paint more than one car or truck.

This likely gives decent results, but I plan to stick with Dupont Centari with hardener just because it is giving me good results and is about the same price, and I know it is durable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 04:17 pm:

What would this paint look like without the clear coat? What is the setup time? What is its temp. work range? Would it have a "warm" look to it without the clear coat? Which would be great as I do not want a deep shine to Nellybell, a nice used look, dents and all!
MarkG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 08:27 pm:

Base coats require a clear. They do offer the same colors in a single stage which does not need clear over it but if you do it right any new paint will shine.

My wife pointed out an interesting item on ebay yesterday she found. It is a can of Black paint sold by the Ford Motor Co. and could very well be the original paint for a model T. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320329603716& ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

I don't think the paint in the link would need a clear coat by the way. :-)

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 08:34 pm:

I don't know that I would ever use this paint. I just thought it was interesting. I'm kind of a PPG guy myself. Used Centari (long ago), some lacquer, and PPG Concept. The local Antique Motorcycle Club had a "Finning Party" on New Years Day. It is a gathering of gearheads, probably around 50, that would rather work on old iron than watch football. It originally started when guys brought their old motorcycle cast iron finned cylinders that had the fins broken off. At the one a couple of days ago, the fins were so far gone, they had to use the bottom of a cast iron skillet as a donor. The welding is done with cast iron rod. Once the repair is complete, you can't see where it was done. Anyway, one of the guys was showing me his project, a Cushman scooter he as putting together from garage scraps, and said he painted it with a "foo-foo bomb" He said he just wasn't going for the high dollar paint job on this one as it was heading out the door when he was done. As Mark G. says (I think this is what he is saying anyway), all T's aren't restored to be show cars.
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration