Thrust Plate Pins

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Thrust Plate Pins
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 03:27 pm:

I'm going to use a couple of roller bearings in place of the bronze differential thrust washers. To do this the thrust plate pins have to be removed. The pins in the axle housing halves can be pulled out, but what about the pins in the differential case? Are these pins part of the casting and can be ground off or are they pins that have been inserted, like the housing halves and can be pulled out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard G Goelz on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 03:33 pm:

If you are using the roller thrust bearing you will still need the pins to hold the flat steel washers on either side of the rollers.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 03:47 pm:

I have not recieved the roller bearing from Lang's yet and thought that I'd get a jump on things, by pulling the pins out. The pins in the housing are damaged, but present. I was under the impression that the pins were not needed with the new roller thrust bearings. The pictures in the catalog show that there are two washers and roller bearing for each side. I don't remember a hole in the washer, but after looking again, it appears that there are notches in the washers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 03:55 pm:

Mike, do as you please but I think the brass thrust washers will far out last the roller thrust bearings. To answer your question though, the pins are removable in the housings and carrier. Those can be easily removed by drilling through the center of the pin with a drill bit slightly smaller than the pin diameter and the pins come out with the drill bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 04:04 pm:

Mike, hold off chopping and cutting until you have all the parts and instructions. This might help you:http://modeltengine.com/modernbearings.htm#rollerthrust It shows what you bought and a tip to installing it easier. You need the pins to hold the washers in place.

I will add this too - you may need to replace one of the new washers with an old stock T one. If you put it together and can't spin it easy with your fingers, use a stock washer on one side. They are thinner. I've found that the kit is a hair too thick on most of the rear ends I've done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 04:14 pm:

I think that I need new pins and should replace them, thanks for the link.
You know, that brings up another question (seems I have lots of them). When someone uses these roller bearings how do you adjust the thickness to move the ring gear either closer to or farther away from the pinion? I understand that with the bronze bearings you would mill them a little as the adjustment.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration