Transmission rebuild - need funding

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Transmission rebuild - need funding
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeremy Locke on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 06:53 pm:

My slow drum has a crack across the top, and my magneto coil assembly needs to be rebuilt, or replaced. Can I just have the transmission rebuilt without tearing apart the engine?

To partially fund this project I am considering to sell my set of wire wheel hubs and brake drums. They are not used, but I have had them for a few yeas waiting for the perfect wire wheel deal. What are excellent to good condition set of wire wheel hubs worth now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 07:07 pm:

Rears are worth at least $150 each if the brake drums are good and the keyway is not all wallowed out, fronts $150 if the races are good and fit the bearings tight, less if they are going to need machining.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 07:08 pm:

Jeremy
I am afraid you will have to remove the engine (well actually it is possible to do it without but it would a awful job and you would then have to remove the rear axle). It would be a great opportunity to check carefully all your bearing clearances and refit as necessary.
As to the value of the wirewheel hubs etc check ebay for a little while and that will give you some idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 07:12 pm:

Why not hold off selling stuff, and just start talking with other T'ers. I was in a similar place two years ago with a cracked brake drum which I found whilst looking into a dead magneto problem. I pulled the engine and after a few phone calls I hauled it to an experienced T man (PC for oldtimer) and in a few hours had a new magneto ring and replacement transmission installed. The old tranny was in such bad condition we couldn't even get it apart. All this cost me was a few hours of my time and a couple hundred dollars. He didn't charge me for the tranny. Matter of fact I think he was glad to get it out of his way of his toes. The other benefit was I made a new friend and it turns out we had many things in common outside the T stuff.

Don't get rid yer wheels just yet Jeremy. The best advice I got from this forum was not to ask someone to do all the work for me, but to ask someone to teach me.

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 08:05 pm:

Jeremy,
Where are you located?

You will need to separate the transmission from the engine to do either the drum replacement or the magneto ring replacement. It is easiest to do that by pulling the radiator, steering column and then the engine and transmission as a unit. After it is pulled and the crankcase removed all that holds things together is 4 bolts between the crankshaft and the transmission.

The club has booklets on both transmission and Electrical system. The electrical system book tells you how to rebuild the magneto. I did 3 magneto rings in my spare time and placed 2 on 2 of my T's. I had no help but just followed the instructions and they both work just fine. I recharged the magnets while they were out of the car following the instructions in that book. That cost would be very small. Since the screw broke that holds the magnets, you should remove them from the flywheel and check for cracks. Replace any magnet that is cracked. They come in opposite polarities, so replace one with the same polarity. They are mounted NN and SS around the flwwheel. I like to check with a compass. The south pole of the compass is attracted to the north pole of the magnet. So use a marker and put a mark on each north pole as you check them and then you will know how to charge them. Then when you reassemble them you will put the like poles together as you go around. Maybe someone in the club has a tool to set the heights uniform. If not, you might be able to make one by looking at the picture in the book and make something like it. Without this tool, it is much harder to get them the same height.

You would need to dissasemble the transmission to replace the drum. Someone in your local area might have a drum that would work. The optimum job would be to also replace the bushings and any other worn parts while it is apart. That part of the work should be done by or under the supervision of a knowledgeable mechanic. It is possible to get the bushings too tight and make it worse than if you left them alone. You would do well to also reline the bands while it is apart. The transmission booklet describes how that is done, I have followed it with success.

The entire engine and transmission can be balanced while it is out to make it run smoother.

I would recommend that while it is out, that you adjust all the crankcase bearings which is quite easy with the engine out. Unless the Babbit is worn out or cracked, you will only need to remove shims to get them right. It is especially good to adjust the main bearings because it is an extremely hard job to do it in the car.

How much you need to spend depends on your own budget, and on how much wear you have. That is where someone in the club near you can help you. Some things cost a bit of money, but will save you the labor of having to do it over soon.

A lot of the work is manual labor. Only a few special tools needed to do this work and someone near you probably knows who has them.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeremy Locke on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 09:08 pm:

I'm in upland. 35-40 miles easy of Los Angeles. I have I have asked if any one is local to me for the past three years, but no luck yet...

I am planning to remove the engine and transmission as one unit. Hopefully I can just repair the transmission without having the dig to much into the engine. But of course I will fix what ever is wrong at that time.

And this all started because I wanted to recharge my magnets, so I took off the Hogs Head. Err...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 09:19 pm:

Better now in your garage, than 50 miles from home stuck somewhere on the side of the road with possibly an even bigger problem.
I'm sure that on reading your post someone will volunteer their time to assist you.

Cheers from downunder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 09:43 pm:

Jeremy,
Try contacting the Riverside Corona Club. There might be someone near you or someone who would be willing to help you. I would offer but I live about 150 miles away. There are several clubs in the southern California and someone might live near you. There is also an Orange County club and a San Fernando Valley Club. You are kind of in the middle, but there is bound to be someone in one of those clubs who is nearby. There is Chaffin's Garage in Corona (Glen Chaffin) who has many parts and I'm sure he would help you or get you acquainted with someone in your area.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 11:19 pm:

There used to be a guy named Arrasmith from Upland who posted here.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration