My 17 Touring...in 1959

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: My 17 Touring...in 1959
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Knudsen on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 08:40 pm:

My dad took a picture of his "toys" in Grandma's backyard when he was about 22. The Touring car is in my garage today. My dad left it in primer and assembled it, giving kids rides around the lake (neighborhood lake) in the 60's and 70's.

He passed away in '05 and I picked it up from his barn (it was disassembled again!). I have since had it painted, the engine tuned up a little and I redid the upholstery. It has new tires and I will be installing a new radiator as weather permits. It drives great, but I couldn't take it far without a decent radiator!

No, I don't have that 32 Ford in the background. That fell into the hands of a real enthusiast and ended up getting profiled in Rodder's Journal.17 Touring...it's looking better now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Knudsen on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 10:18 pm:

Here is the same car about 45 years later. Not much improvement!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Knudsen on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 10:34 pm:

And finally some paint!! Upholstery would come next.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 11:15 pm:

Andy, That's a beautiful model T. There's a gentleman on this forum who has the same model T his father had since before he was born, also, the car he learned to drive in. I'm sure your father would be very proud.
John Berch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:22 pm:

Andy,

Great looking car! It is always neat if you can find out anything about the history of your an antique car. It is even nicer when it has been in your family for a long time. And especially nice when it was your Dads and brings back good memories from your childhood. Im very fortunate to have some of my Dads cars. I know that is one the reasons I enjoy Model Ts so much they bring back so many good memories from my childhood. That is also true about other things that were special to our parents and have been passed on to us. From table cloths to table saws they are always special when they bring with them the memories of those we love.

By the way when you have a chance please take a look at the right front floorboard riser of you car and let us know if there is a letter with some numbers. Several different body makers supplied Ford with the touring bodies and by 1917 most of them were using the right front floor board riser to put either a tag with a number or just stamping the body number directly into the wood. Some of them also put a letter with the number.

Above is a picture of Jim Cooks 1916 Wilson (i.e. W) body number (sold in Oct 1915 but an early 1916 model year car.)

Above is a front seat heel panel (the panel your heel would hit if you sat in the front seat and kicked backwards with your foot). Some but not all body makers put a letter there. And I think by the late teens they may have all stopped stamping a letter there, but I am only going off a small sample size so there may be some. If there is a letter (or letters) in the heel panel, it is usually towards the middle from each side and more towards the top of the panel. This one shows a B indicating a Beaudett produced body (assumes the panel was original to the car and not added later.)

Again you have a great looking car and Im sure there are lots of special memories with it.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:39 pm:

The horn button on the steering column shown in the first picture indicates that the car is 1918 model year or later. (The 1918 model year commenced in August 1917.)

What is the serial number and casting date on the block?

Erik Johnson
Minneapolis, MN

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration