Spindle Bolts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Spindle Bolts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Warrington on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 08:43 pm:

I cannot get the spindle bolts to budge. I am holding off putting a breaker bar on then in fear of breaking one. I have put moderate heat from a heat gun on the lower. Any tricks or ideas would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 09:04 pm:

First question. Have you already removed the castle nuts from the bottom of the spindle bolts? Since the axle and the nuts are threaded, this could be a cause of binding.

Second question. Is this axle rusted and the spindles that are on the axle free to turn. If it does have rust, soak the threaded area and bushings in PB Blaster or other good penetrating oil before trying again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Warrington on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 09:08 pm:

Spindle castle nuts off. Has been soaking in PBS. Used impact wrench to try getting them off. Spindle turns freely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 09:17 pm:

You could heat the bottom of axle and try turning them. I have one stuck right now that I'm going to have machined out. They can be a bear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Warrington on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 10:16 pm:

Thats next. Pressure from breaker bar and heat. I sure don't want to take the axle out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 10:43 pm:

Be aware that if these are original Ford spindle bolts, the hex head may be swaged onto the shaft. This was NOT a one-piece unit. A friend found this out when we drove from Mpls. to Little Falls some years ago. I also found this out when disassembling the original spindle bolts on my '17 touring car. One head was loose on the shaft when I took it out. Typical symptom of a loose head is that all-familiar front end shimmy.

Don't know if anyone has looked at the original prints for these things at the Benson archives. Mine were the '16 style with steel manhole cover oilers.

In this respect the repops are a good choice, being ground from a solid billet.

As far as penetrants are concerned I always use Kroil. Tried some PB Blaster last summer when I was out of Kroil and was desperate. The PB was a waste of money in my book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:15 am:

Heat gun wont give you the heat you need for that application.
Breaker bars are properly named as they break things if not used wisely.
Alot of taps from a small hammer and KROIL will go along ways to removeing it.I guess you could use a Porta band saw and cut thru the bronze bushings and thru the bolts if you are carefull,then deal with the stump at the bottem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Warrington on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 01:18 pm:

Problem over went nuclear, used my 3/4 breaker bar and carefully removed bolts. No wonder they were stubborn, years of rust, pitting.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration