Screw size

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Screw size
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 11:40 pm:

What is the size of screws used to hold on the common sense (Murphy) fasteners where they are attached to the top bows and the body? I believe it would be an oval head screw.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:00 am:

The ones I took out of a set about a week ago,looked like #7 to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:28 pm:

The ones on my '25, I believe, are a #5-40. If you want, let me know, and I'll go out and check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 02:00 pm:

I was talking about a wood screw,where they screw through the bow into the wood backing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 02:18 pm:

The original screws holding Murphy type fasteners on my '13 and my '15 roadster appear to be #6 X 5/8" oval head brass screws.

Some of the ones on my '13 had an "A" on them, others the Murphy "M" in a circle. I am guessing Ford used more than one supplier. Anyone know what the "A" stood for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 04:58 pm:

Anchor possibly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 06:47 pm:

Thanks-
I am talking about the wood screw. The #5 oval head fits into the common sense fastener a little better than the #6. And I believe the 5/8" will be about the right length to screw into the wood bows and the upholstery tack strip.

I'm inclined to think that a stainless steel screw would be better than a nickel or zinc plated steel screw, but I'll use what I can find. This will be for my 1919, so I will stay away from brass.

Anyone have about a hundred of 'em or know of a good reasonably priced source?

The #5 is kind of an odd-ball size, and even finding a slot head as opposed to a Phillips is getting difficult.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 06:57 pm:

Keith try Winks hardware in Portland, they migh have them. Maybe even Parkrose?
MarkG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 07:11 pm:

I tried Parkrose. They only had them in brass and those were priced at 35 cents each. Ouch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 08:26 pm:

Fastenal can probably beat that price. I ordered some SS ones (larger) and got 100 for less than $20.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:42 am:

#5s are an odd size, but they are readily available with a quick search on the web. Several years ago I bought a box of 100 nickel plated #5 X 5/8 for $3.50 (Kennedy Hardware). Stainless #5 are also available at Mcmaster Carr, but they are 3/4 inch long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 12:08 pm:

Try here;

http://www.boltdepot.com/material.aspx?cc=3&cs=44

They have #5 in brass but not in stainless.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration