Ever Seen a T Body Like This?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Ever Seen a T Body Like This?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:11 am:

It's a 24" stretch. That should make room for jumpseats, but they're not mentioned. . Tarted up a little, it wouldn't be bad for a wedding carriage, huh?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___Custom-Cunningham-Body-Rust-Free-Western-Car_W0QQitemZ330298225635QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item330298225635&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A7%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By douglas j hauge on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:36 am:

this is a 1915 chassie w/ 1917 body, and has a 24" stretch kit added. the stretch is from the day as it is has hot rivets in the frame rails to form the stretch. wheel base 124" kind of a cool car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:39 pm:

It looks very British to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 06:18 pm:

Doug- Could you post some pictures of the front driveshaft and the front of the crossmember? Thats very interesting!

What lubricates the universal joint seeing engine oil is nolonger being "splashed" on it?

Does anyone out there know anything more about this conversion?

Anyone else out there with "extended" Model T's?

If so, could you share photo's of the modification's?

Thank's guy's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 07:24 pm:

Paul,See those grease cups?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 09:52 pm:

Yes, I see the cups.

The smaller one is for the drive shaft bushing. The larger one is for lubricating the universal joint housing "ball" and retainer ring.

The joint itself is lubricated by the engine oil on a stock T, is it not?

Is the u-joint housing "ball" on the stretched T completely filled with grease?

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 12:15 am:

Paul -- The housing has a hole in it which aligns with the larger grease cup, sending the grease into the U-joint. The universal ball cap (4th main) is supposed to isolate the engine oil from the U-joint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 12:26 am:

Ralph, French number plate (75 Paris)?
Along with the yellow headlamp globes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Olivier CHABANNE on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 02:15 am:

I confirm, this model T is well of France origin.

The number corresponds well to the town of Paris.

In France, many body builders one to carry out this longer type of body. The name of these body-builders was “Carde”, “Rousset”, “Privat”, .....
The pics are not sufficiently precise so that I can formally identify the body-builder of this Ford model T red.

My Ford T resembles this one, and a was fitted with body by “Rousset”.

Je confirme, cette model T est bien d’origine France.
Le numéro correspond bien à la ville de Paris.
En France, de nombreux carrossiers on réaliser ce type de carrosserie plus long. Le nom de ces carrossiers était « Carde », « Rousset », « Privat », …..
Les pics ne sont pas suffisamment précise pour que je puisse identifier formellement le carrossier de cette Ford model T rouge.
Ma Ford t ressemble à celle-ci, et a était carrossé par « Rousset ».

Best regard

Olivier

http://www.ford-t.fr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 09:57 am:

Wow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:33 am:

Thanks, Olivier. I just sent the seller a message, recommending he check this thread.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By douglas j hauge on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:41 am:

the stretch kit on this car appears to be (to me)a manufactured kit. the cast center carrier that i show in the previous post is very heavy duty. i cant imagine they made only 1. the 2 greese cups face down because you cant get to them as they are just pat the gas tank under the body, much like if you have a warford. i am not sure whats going on at the connection of the driveshaft and transmission. it appears to me to be a straight connection, i have not opened it up to see whats going on in there. when i jacked the front up real high to tighten the rods, i had oil run out the ball cap joint at the cast carrier. the (kit) also has tie rods the whole length of the car, they can be seen going through the cast carrier in the bottom part. i will post some pictures here for your interest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By douglas j hauge on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:27 am:

i thought you guys would enjoy looking over a center carrier and torsion rods on my vintage stretch model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:57 pm:

Thank's for the photo's!

How would the front drive shaft be removed? It does not have a splined, slip joint like modern drive shafts.

Would you have to unbolt the engine and move it ahead, say four or six inches, to allow the shaft to "drop down" and out of the rear of the engine and the u-joint housing ball?

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By douglas j hauge on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 09:39 am:

i have not taken the drive train apart yet. but your observation is the same as my thoughts, i will pull the whole rearend to do the axel, (brass thrust) remove the babbit. then investigate how they put this driveshaft together.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration