Windshield and windshield post gaskets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Windshield and windshield post gaskets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pete s on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 01:47 pm:

Hopefully a simple question: I am re-gasketing the windshield frame on a 1927 coupe. Where do I trim the cowl/frame bottom gasket at the joint with the 2 side gaskets...are they cut even with the frame vertical edge or are they cut even with the end of that bottom channel (or recessed)? If they are cut even with the inside lower channel or recessed do the 2 side gaskets extend beyond the side channels and get cut even with the lower or bottom edge of the frame? Or is the whole joint mitred at 45 degrees.
Another gasket question: The post rubber gasket fills that small vertical void between the inside post trim and the post and is supposed to seal up against the windshield gasket. I assume the blunt end of that gasket is inserted in that void so that the tapered end touches that windshield side gasket. Is this insertion a "press fit" in that void or is there some bracket or fastener that holds that gasket in place? A pictue would be great or refferal to a previous thread. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pete s on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 08:59 pm:

Evidently, I've stumped the panel! No responses??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 09:31 pm:

Can't help you with the gasket issues, sorry. But ask about water pumps and distributors and you'll get all the replies you'd ever want :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 09:51 pm:

I'm not sure myself, but the one under the indshild against the cowl I cut to the edge of the post. the ones in the post I cut to the edge of the windshield. the one between the top and bottom I cut to fit between the glass portion. I don't have any side curtains and the car is quite drafty anyway. I have windwings and have driven in the rain and don't get very wet. I really hadn't given it much thought.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pete s on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:43 pm:

Thanks didnt mean to be a smart-a... But I'm really asking where the windshield side gaskets meet the gasket along the bottom is there an overlap between the 2 or does the side gasket simply butt up against the top edges of the lower
gasket?

My other question: Is there a gasket that fits the length of the post and seals against the gasket on the windshield frame when it is closed? My trim piece on the post doesnt cover the entire opening in the post leaving maybe a quarter of an inch void the length of the post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 01:33 am:

I have seen them each cut on a 45 degree, and edge glued at that joint at the bottom corners of the windshield. Then everything lays nicely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pete s on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 09:04 am:

Thanks Scott..I will mitre and glue that joint.
Is there a seal that lays in the vertical post
also for the sides of the windshield? Is there another seal along the cowl for the bottom of the windshield seal to lay on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 11:55 am:

I should have read Coupe. The information I gave is for a Runabout or Touring. I don't have a Coupe.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 12:30 pm:

Pete,
The only rubber seals on the coupe windshield are the ones on the left, right, and bottom of the windshield frame to seal between the body and the windshield frame. If there is another area you think a seal goes, please post a picture. I have a 26 coupe that was pretty much complete when I got it 37 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pete s on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 01:59 pm:

Jeff..Are there any seals on each post and along the cowl that seal against the seals on the windshield? Macs has a windshield post rubber
Part# T7837L. This fits into the post I'm
assuming and butts up against windshield gasket
when windshield is closed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 04:31 pm:

Pete,
The T7837 is for open car windshield posts(stanchions). The 26-27 open car windshield has a seal on the bottom edge of the lower windshield frame, a seal on the glass between the upper and lower windshield, and a seal that runs between the windshield frames and stanchions (posts). For the 26-27 coupe and two door a seal is along the bottom , left, and right side of the windshield frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pete s on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 04:46 pm:

Jeff..Sorry to be a slow learner but the '27 coupe does not have any gasket that fits on the 2 posts..correct? The only gaskets are on the
windshield frame only?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 05:02 pm:

Pete,
Yes, you have it, seals are on the windshield frame ONLY.

Please complete your profile so we know where you live and can see a picture of your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pete s on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 05:23 pm:

Thanks for your help and patience. I have scoured the books (Bruce McCally's very complete "The Car That Changed the World" ; the black Model T service manual and others) the detail I need to see is not shown. That's why this forum is so invaluable. My car is in pieces will post a picture when I get further along. With the cold weather I'm working on the little pieces right now in the basement. Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pete s on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:03 pm:

Jeff..The question I still have is with the trim piece that attaches to the post and covers the vertical channel in the post. This trim piece bolts to the bracket recessed in the post that is the pivot point of the windwhield. The slot is 1-3/8 wide the trim covers 1-1/8" of the opening, leaving a gap of approx 1/4" the length of the post. This doesnt look right..is there some blocking or something to cover this gap?
That's where I stumbled on the T7837L part in Msc's catalog. Please be patient, just trying to learn right and wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pete s on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:05 pm:

Jeff..The question I still have is with the trim piece that attaches to the post and covers the vertical channel in the post. This trim piece bolts to the bracket recessed in the post that is the pivot point of the windwhield. The slot is 1-3/8 wide the trim covers 1-1/8" of the opening, leaving a gap of approx 1/4" the length of the post. This doesnt look right..is there some blocking or something to cover this gap?
That's where I stumbled on the T7837L gasket in Mac's catalog. Please be patient, just trying to learn right and wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:22 pm:

Pete

Had a tudor for a short while, just recall that the rubber gasket meets at the corner in a v, sits flat under the windshield frame.

Only have these two pic of another tudor, can't help out much though.

Driver's side , windshield open

View of panel just above the windshield, post on left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:35 pm:

Pete
I will post you some pictures of the window details later this week. The coupe we are restoring is at the paint shop and should have it home Friday. There is a trim for each side of the body window frame. When I get it back I will take pictures of the trim before and after they are installed. If you need any other pictures let me know I will be taking pictures of the car as we put it back together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pete s on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:44 pm:

Dan I appreciate the help. The trim piece sits
on the inside edge of the post and covers the gap up and down in the post. This contoured metal trim covers this gap partially. It hides the bracket that is the pivot point for the windshield. Only problem is, is that my trim isnt wide enough to cover the entire gap vertically in the post. There is a 1/4" x 22" gap toward the front of the post that my trim doesnt cover. I'm thinking there must be a block or something to hide this long gap. Pictures are a great help, but I need one that is a shot of the side of the post taken when the windshield is open. I appreciate your efforts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pete s on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:52 pm:

Leon...My hero. Thanks soooo much. You are correct there are 2 metal trim pieces that are contoured and anchored on the "lip" on the back of the post and there is a little tab on the bottom of the trim pieces that is inserted under the bracket for the dash. It is bolted on another recessed bracket three quarters of the way up in that slot in the post. Maybe my trim has to be wider but it does "tuck in " nicely on that post lip and all the bolt holes line up so I got to believe the trim is correct.
Thanks in advance for the pictures
Pete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 09:48 pm:

Pete,
The windshield or A pillar trim does have a small setback from the front edge of the windshield post. This picture should help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pete s on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 10:14 pm:

Thanks, Jeff. My pillar trim when slid over the lip of the post doesnt go far enough forward. I have a gap in the pillar post, up and down. But like I said all the holes in that pillar trim line up with corresponding holes for the windshield bracket. That why I was wondering if there was some sort of block to cover that gap..approx 1/4" wide the entire length of the post.
Pete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:08 pm:

Pete,
A 1/4" gap along the front edge of the pillar trim is what I have shown, sounds like you have the right trim.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration