Manifold cooker

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Manifold cooker
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 02:18 pm:

Got a manifold cooker for my birthday today. Probably if you lit the right number of candles under the cooker, you would not need a hot T manifold ! Anyhoo, I'd enjoy hearing some stories from those of you who have experience using one of these cookers. The recipe booklet looks interesting. Gives cook time in both minutes and miles. Certainly not for speedsters but will work well with my relaxed pace here on Maine roads. Only cooking of this type that I've done is stuff rolled up in foil and placed on the backhead of a coal fired steam locomotive. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 03:01 pm:

Get a big jar of sourcraut (?) and a pack of polish sausages. Mix in cooker and drive till done. It'll start smelling soon and makes a great lunch

Andy Clary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sherm Wetherbee on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 05:11 pm:

The Saturday night standby,at least in New England, Boston baked beans and franks. Smells good when you are driving, tastes good when you stop!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nelson Jones on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 08:18 pm:

I heard about a person putting a roast, potatos, carrots in a cooker & had all the dogs in the area following them. Nelson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rdupree on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 09:57 pm:

Something as simple as sliced ham with pineapple chunks sure tases good, and you don't have to worry about how long it has cooked. If warm, its ready to eat.

We have also done pulled pork BBQ. Cook the pork ahead of time in a slow cooker, then use your cooker to reheat on the appointed day.

One thing to keep in mind, you may need to add some water, BBQ sauce, or whatever, to the cooker if you take a long drive.

One thing about it, the people with the cooker on the car are sure hungry when it is time to stop!

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:10 pm:

The best fun is to show up at a car show with hot dogs ready to serve out of the cooker! Sure turns a lot of heads and the kids think it's amazing to have a hot dog cooked by a model T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:20 pm:

Just curious,how much can you really cook in 1 of those? Is it enough for 2 people?
Cause that is about how much I am accused of eating!:>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard G Goelz on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:33 pm:

Mack,on our fall tour one of the members cooked enough for 22 people so they can cook quite a bit.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dmenkhau on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:55 pm:

Bill, we have just purchased a place in West Newfield! Think the hot dogs will b erady to cook up there? ! !! We're willing to brig Cincinnati up there in the form of Chili, but I'd rather have lobster!!! Can you let us tag along with your Maine tour! :-)

Doogie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 01:17 pm:

Doogie: Sure, the more the merrier. They are just getting going now on the Mainley T Tour for next fall. If you are interested contact Mark or Pat at 207-567-6084. Meanwhile, I'll try out the cooker with a few lobstah's and see how many miles it takes at 20 mph. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 01:20 pm:

How much trouble is it to install and unistall? Does the whole thing come off or are there mounting brackets that stay on the engine all the time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rdupree on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 01:40 pm:

It slides on and off in seconds. There are tabs on the back side that fit between the exhaust manifold and block. When you get to your destination, put on a pair of leather gloves, raise the hood, and lift off the cooker to carry it to your picnic table. Super easy to install and remove.

Oh, be sure to line the inside with heavy aluminum foil before cooking. Makes cleanup a lot easier.

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince M on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 03:52 pm:

How well does it seal? Do liquids/grease etc. splash or leak out?

Vince

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 04:01 pm:

Vince, what are you planning? Pasta? Lasagna? Veal parmigiana? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rdupree on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 07:20 pm:

Vince,

If you line the cooker with heavy foil, then fold the foil over itself before sliding the lid on, you have a pretty secure meal. Obviously you don't want to fill the cooker with water to the brim, then head out over a rough road. The cooker does not have a flat bottom. The cooker somewhat 'wraps around' the exhaust manifold to help keep the liquids below the top. We have cooked pulled pork for 10 people before, and have not had the cooker completely full, let alone worried about slopping anything over the side.

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DaGunny on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 07:23 pm:

We dump in baby meatballs and the wife's home made sauce. Grab a bag of rolls. On the Maryland 2002 tour we fed a lot of people from that cooker. Don't even think of follwoing Frank Fenton up any long hills in the morning. Carol and Frank do a breakfast casserole that will drive you nuts. We have done brats and sauerkraut on the Wisconsin tour. Sausage and peppers are great too. Somebody, probably Frank, has a cookbook out. Never leave home for a tour without it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 08:17 pm:

A good friend of mine built one out of stainless steel with a very well sealed lid.He is famous around our area for cooking stews,chilis and such.I've seen it,looks great and does the job with no spills.
My only regret is I wish my cooker was stainless,now that they're being made that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 08:24 pm:

Here we are cooking a "hot dog" this past summer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 08:28 pm:

We cooked enough Almond Chicken to serve 14 in two cookers. Tasted great and smelled great while we were driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:31 pm:

Mike,

You did it now!

Somebody out there browsing the web is going to see that pic and call PETA!

There will be a bounty on every T owner's head!

Quick, put the cover on that cooker!

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:57 pm:

Too bad ther is no caption for the "hot" dog in the cooker cuze look at it face, it's thinking something! Like, Dad I do not like my new car seat! OR just plane... What the ---- am I doing here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:22 pm:

Cooker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 02:36 am:

:-) Thanks I needed that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 02:41 am:

She did kind of have a worried look on her face...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Cook on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 08:35 am:

There are bags that you can buy that are made to line crock pots. They work just fine. Put a cup or two of water in the bottom of the cooker, place anything that you'd put in a crock pot in the liner, close the bag with a twisty tie, slide the cover in place and off you go.

I'll echo the fact that you get quite hungry while driving as you start to smell the contents cooking away under the hood.

Tour America,
JC :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 11:56 am:

If you have an older cooker, I would urge you to updated to one of the stainless steel ones. When the cookers first came out, they were made of regular steel and needed to be lined with something and cleaned by hand or they would get rusty. The newer stainless steel cookers are absolutely fantastic. They are stainless steel with proper stainless steel welds, and you can put anything you want in them without lining them or worrying about rust. Plus you can throw them in the dishwasher when you get home. They are made by Paul Larson in Clear Lake, Iowa and I think he will sell them directly.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration