Question about Nos rear bearing sleeves

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Question about Nos rear bearing sleeves
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 03:38 pm:

Guys: Have been sorting and boxing up NOS parts and have found some things different on rear axle bearings sleeves. I know that there are right and lefts. I have found two types of lefts. One has Ford only on it, the other has Ford and Hyatt 4243. The Hyatt type has the gap or "V" in a different place than the plain Ford. It is closer to the tit that holds the sleeve in place. On the Ford only sleeves, the "V" is in the same place as what we are getting as replacements today.
Do not have any Hyatt right sides to compare with the Ford rights. Has anyone seen this in sleeves that they have removed? I have not or maybe I just did not pay attention.
I wonder if this would make a difference? Thanks, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 09:48 am:

I have seen the V in different positions too, but never gave it much thought. Never had a removal problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 12:33 pm:

Dan: I have a few NOS Ford sleeves laying around. Get on my case, and I'll try to find some to talk about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 01:21 pm:

I know you guys are talking about T axle sleeves, but I ran into something on the TT sleeves. As many of you know, the replacements are neither left or right. You have have to drill your own grease hole and make your own dimple. Additionally, the slot was at a lot steeper angle than my original. Wonder why?

As for the dimple, the folks at Lang's told me they didn't think the sleeves had much tendency to rotate and they wouldn't bother making a dimple. I was still a little worried about it, so I put a little patch of weld on there just to be sure. What do you guys think about leaving the dimple off? I suppose you could get creative with the grease cup and make it extend a little ways into the sleeve to keep the sleeve from rotating and not bother with a dimple. I'd sure hate for it to extend far enough to touch the bearing though. I think a dimple is a safe bet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Gaffrey on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 02:06 pm:

Hal
I believe your correct

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 02:37 pm:

Hal: I have some nos ones in the stuff I got the other day. I will look at them and see if they have the dimple. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 03:09 pm:

I also welded a small dimple on a couple of replacements sleeves that I did for a pair of TT rear axle assemblies - figured they were there originally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:38 am:

The NOS TT sleeves all have the dimple. 1927 parts book list a right and left for TT rear ends. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 11:52 am:

Dan, what is the thickness on the NOS T sleeves?
I forget the numbers but on the rear axle assembly I did last summer, the originals I took out were thicker than the new hardened ones that I had purchased to replace them. Needless to say I re-used the originals. They were "RBC" brand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:54 pm:

I'd be careful with RBC sleeves. The new ones are too soft. The best ones are from Langs. The are not real hard, just tough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:46 pm:

Larry, I think the RBC sleeves that I re-used were quite old, as the differential still had babbitt thrust washers in it.
I found my notes, the new, hardened sleeves I bought were .064" thick. The old RBCs varied between .069" to .073" thick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:38 am:

Bump

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration