Rear Spring I.D.?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Rear Spring I.D.?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Dempsey on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 04:44 pm:

Hey Guys,

Still in the "discovery" phase of this '27 Coupe...can anyone tell me if, in fact, this is an actual '27 rear spring or not? I've looked at the literature and a "9th" leaf is mentioned. This one only has 8 ....is that a problem? Can I add another leaf?

Thanks in advance...
This is a great forum...and I have appreciated all the previous "sage" advice that I've received!

John (formerly ...Marine 1)

rear 27 spring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 04:52 pm:

I've working on a 1926 TuDor. It has a nine leaf rear spring.

I'm sure the Tudor is heavier than the Coupe and that may be the reason for the extra leaf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Dempsey on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 05:40 pm:

Thanks for the pic, Mike......you're probably right, but the Tudor only weighed 112 lbs. more...1972 lbs vs. 1860 lbs. I'm thinking that the Coupe probably had the same spring.....I never know what this car is going to have on it...it seems to be a "collection" of "whatever fits!" So at least I'm satisfied that it is a genuine Model T spring...and it's close to the original!

I should be able to get just that top leaf...it seems like your top one is the one I'm missing.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 05:52 pm:

I'm sure you could get a spring shop to make you a leaf. My top leaf is 12 1/2" wide and 15" long.

Not sure how much help the 9th leaf will be. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Dempsey on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 06:29 pm:

Probably not much....it's just the principle of it. I'm a newbie restorer and I get frustrated because this '27 I've started on seems to have been put together with whatever parts fit! I'm not trying to make it a show car, but I would like to have it structurally, and cosmetically as original as possible.
Thanks for the tip and the pics!
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Dempsey on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 06:38 pm:

Mike,
If you're still on the forum......since you measured yours, I measured the top leaf of mine and it's the same as yours. Perhaps it's the second leaf that I need....My second leaf is about 20".

Thanks again,
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 08:03 pm:

I'm a relative newbie also, but if you want to learn, you have to jump in there are bend those wrenchs. If you break something, there are other parts, but learn from it. I measured all the leaves and 20" is my third leave.
Top leaf --- 15"
2nd leaf --- 17 1/2"
3rd leaf --- 20"
4th leaf --- 25"
5th leaf --- 30 1/2"
6th leaf --- 36"
7th leaf --- 42"
8th leaf --- 49 1/2"
Main leaf -- 52"

Measuring the main leaf is a little hard with the eyelets. All the measurements are approx. but close. How long is your center bolt? Would it accept another leaf? Maybe someone removed a leaf because it broke in the past and just toke it out. My bolt is just long enough to accept the nut when all the leaves are in contact. Again, you could get another leaf at a spring shop. Good Luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Dempsey on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 08:40 pm:

Thanks again Mike! Your measurements indicate that I probably need the 2nd leaf. Your efforts are greatly appreciated! You went out of your way to help!
Your also right about bending some wrenches...I've been cussin' and discussin' over this vehicle for about 3 months but it's been fun so far.
I'm almost ready to switch gears from DIS-assembly to RE-assembly!

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 08:49 pm:

John: You may not need that extra leaf, may stiffen up the ride. The Coupe is lighter than the Tudor.

Bob Jablonski

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration