Clayton's Roadster Project?? Where it is??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Clayton's Roadster Project?? Where it is??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 04:48 pm:

Anyone know what happened to the thread on Claytons roadster? I wanted (and never did) to make a copy of his plans to lower the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 05:00 pm:

Scott, and other forum members,

I upset that the spamers got ahold of my thread and that it was deleated. I will repost what I have on the lowering setup i have again as well as the latest on my new top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 07:27 pm:

Thanks Clayton. I'm selling a bunch of stuff and want to invest in the start-up on our chassis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 04:37 am:

....I also have an update for everyone, got the top fitted this weekend....looks awesome!!

my topmy topmy topmy top

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 06:10 pm:

The top and thoes headlights make the car. The low top give is a real LOW look. The headlights are just COOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 06:12 pm:

I see what looks like an Oregon lic. plate on the car, where are you at?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 06:54 pm:

Mark,

Thanks for the compliments! I'm out of Portland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 05:11 pm:

Nah, Mark. Those headlights are way too big.
They're just completely wrong. Clayton would do well to get them off the car before they do permanent damage to it.

:-D

It's a funny thing, isn't it?
Clayton's car, by it's lines and by its honest condition makes us all stop and look. There are so many sharper-looking, brassy, leather-seated, pin striped beauties... but there is an intangible something about Clayton's car. It's almost like it has its own gravity. I love looking at it. I works. It's an eye-magnet.

If I had it, that poor thing would never, ever be cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 05:12 pm:

And what happened to the rear frame horns?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 05:52 pm:

I had no idea my little ol' roadster was that likeable!

To be honest, I was never satisfied with the rear frame horns. They stuck out to far for my liking and served no purpose, which was my biggest beef. I think their removal gives the car a much cleaner rear profile.

BTW, anybody have the rear half of a '23 to '25 roadster body (from the doors back) laying around local to me that for next to nothin'? Doesn't have to be pretty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 05:53 pm:

I had no idea my little ol' roadster was that likeable!

To be honest, I was never satisfied with the rear frame horns. They stuck out to far for my liking and served no purpose, which was my biggest beef. I think their removal gives the car a much cleaner rear profile.

BTW, anybody have the rear half of a '23 to '25 roadster body (from the doors back) laying around local to me that they would be willing to part with for next to nothin'? Doesn't have to be pretty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Niedzielski on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:09 am:

Clayton, hang onto your patterns for the top. I have a feeling you are going to have some chaps interested in copies/templates.

Will the addition of cycle fenders be considered for the future? Are you allowed to drive this job in the rain in your jurisdiction given the lack of fenders?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Byron on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:39 am:

I, myself, love your headlights. I've been using "commercial" headlights on all of my 'A' and '32' roadsters for the last 30 years. Now I'm using the large "drum" headlights on my speedsters. Large headlights and nice wheels really makes the early roadster stand out. Everybody's got those little peanut lights, that's why you and I stand out. Long live early roadster's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 01:21 am:

Clayton, Ed N. has a point about the patterns for the top. I might just be needing a set myself.
I just turned some T-parts sales $$ into T-parts purchases today. Feels pretty good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:26 pm:

Scott,

I do have them and had a feeling this might happen. If your intrested, I can surely get you hooked up with the patterns at least.

Byron,

I was tired of T headlights and most else on the market for these things. I wanted bigger, late teens early '20s lights (as i had taken much insperation from that era Stutz Bearcats and Mercers). I came accross these on Ebay for $40 from a 1915-17 Franklin I beleive. If i remember right they 9-1/2 or 10" dia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 02:18 pm:

Ed,

I had originally planned to put fenders on it, but I think she looks great without 'em! I have not had a problem with a lack of fenders.

Dan,

I must thank you again for your wonderful compliment the other day, it is quite flattering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 08:13 pm:

That car would look great idling beside a still. That's a rum-runner if I ever saw one!

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 08:49 pm:

Scott,

Here are the drawings you were looking for.

Garnet,

That is too cool! Wait 'till get some more speed goodies :-)FrontRear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:13 pm:

Thanks Clayton!! I might start a post of my own for this but I'll ask here first. As far as books go, What would be a must have for dealing with the Model T. I've driven them, tinkered with them but never started from scratch. I didn't take this one apart, I bought it as parts, so I don't know where everything goes. I do have a very good Idea, but you know there is always that important part that you miss. I have lots of parts.....but I know I don't have them all!!
Clayton, you're most likely not old enough to remember the commercial "Parts is Parts" I think it was an AAmco trans ad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:59 pm:

I beleive I know the add you are refering to.

There are 2 books I recommend that are MUST HAVE for someone rebuilding a T, especial for someone in your position. The first is the FORD T-1 SERVICE MANUAL. This was a life saver for me never having built one from the ground up either. If you follow it step by step, you won't have any problems. The second is THE SECRETS OF SPEED, The Fast Ford Handbook by Murry Farhnstock. This book is the "Bible" for Model T speed nuts. compiled in the book are hundreds of vintage speed articales on every trick in the book for squeezing EVERY LAST OUNCE of speed and preformance out of a T, Such a fun book! Both are simple to find. The T-1 is still being printed (I think Lang's and Chaffin's have 'em) and the Secrets of Speed can be found on Ebay by the dozen.

Secrets of SpeedT-1 SERVICE MAN

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration