Soild tires and wood spoke help needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Soild tires and wood spoke help needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 08:42 pm:

I picked up a 1915 Model Ford T Smith Form a Truck. Two of the biggest problems are the one of ther rear wheels are shot from sitting in the dirt for who know for how long. The metel part are ok but the wood part is in bad shape. The spokes are bigger than a commom T truck. Is there anybbody that restores old wheels?

The other problem is the solid tires. All four are in need of replacing. Who retires the old solid tires? I'll tey and attach a pic but I'm not to good at working coumpters.

Any help would be helpful, Thank you,

WillSmith Form a truck wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rdupree on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 09:51 pm:

Are you anywhere near an Amish community? Their wheelwright could handle the wood, and could probably have the rubber done as well.

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:17 pm:

Annoyingly I cant find the mans name that I bought a C cab from in Raliegh.He is building a smith and had his wheels redone and they look really good.
1 word of caution.The work is very exspensive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:56 pm:

Calimer's wheelshop specializes in rebuilding wood wheels for antique automobiles. They also mount hard rubber tires.

It is run by a third-generation wheelwright who does excellent work. I can vouch for the quality as my father has had two sets of electric car wheels gone-over by Calimers. Two of the eight wheels required new felloes and some spoke replacement. All eight wheels had new rubber tires mounted on them.

http://www.calimerswheelshop.com/

Erik Johnson
Minneapolis, MN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Bunner on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:10 am:

Hi Will.
I just had this done to my truck. It took awhile to get all the wheels back. Anyhow, this url will help you get all you need to know about the Smith Form-a-Truck wheel repairs...

I would use Bill Calimer for the Front Wheels (30x3) and I would use witmer and kansasland for the rear wheels... And, I would look around for the bearings and chains for a good price... I think I posted numbers for these as well...

Anyhow, good luck with your project... please post more pictures!

Respectfully,
Michael

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/24185.html?1192199741

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Houston on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 12:13 pm:

Here's a photo of my Smith wheels from my file. The wheels are Amish and the tires from the original Coker mold. $600 each about 10 years ago.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Bunner on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 02:36 pm:

Will.
Can you post more pictures of your vehicle?
Please don't be shy... we're trying to preserve information about them all... and your posts help.
Thanks,
Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Bunner on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 02:46 pm:

Can you also tell us what your Form-a-Truck frame number is?

Thanks,
Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 03:55 pm:

Michael,
Well, I can and I cant. My truck is stored in my garage about 400 miles from where I live in the winter. I'll post what i have but it's only of when I picked it up in Ga last summer and I had removed any parts that could take flight during the 1200 mile return trip. Send me your e mail and I will get to you what i have.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration