Atwater Kent

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Atwater Kent
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Calloway on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 08:49 am:

A friend of mine acquired a 24 T pickup with an Atwater Kent distributor. Are points and condensers availabe for these. I might be able to file the old ones to get it running, but I'd like to find aa new set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 09:48 am:

Dunno about the one he has, but the A-K LA model disturbutors had snap action points that made for a very short dwell, saving battery power. They claimed up to 2K miles on a set of dry cells. A-K also made coils to go with that disturbutor, so it may have some special characteristics for short dwell.

It would be fun to experiment with. You might end up with Pertronix in it.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:07 am:

New parts are not available, although some of the old timer electrical parts guys that advertised in Hemming's used to have a limited supply of some NOS pieces. My Gramp's installed a LA on his TT, apparently not too long after purchasing the truck new in early 1924 (which I am still in possesion of) and over the years have picked up some spare components at swap meets. There still some out there ! It runs great by the way but I also have T's w/stock ignition also.gramp's truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:58 am:

If you find some NOS parts and the seller is aware of what they are, (versus finding them in the $1 pile at a swap meet), they will be expensive. Maybe filing will get you by for a many miles or maybe you need to go another route. I use distributors so I guess I'm not exactly a purist, but, I would not use electronic or modern looking parts. All my distributors are period correct. Modern parts under a T hood look awful. Use your own judgement here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 12:42 pm:

Only one extra wire, and no condenser is visible on a disturbutor with Pertronix inside.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 03:34 pm:

Are there Pertronixs available for 6 volt systems? Where?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Montgomery on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 03:50 pm:

I too would be interested in updating a Type LA to electronic guts. Is it easy and wherte do we get thecomponents or does someone do this that we can send the dizzy too for conversion > ? ed montgomery

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration