Removing Thrust Washer Pins

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Removing Thrust Washer Pins
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 03:18 pm:

My Thrust Washer Pins in my differential case are more oval shaped than round. I suspect that the washers were smacking the pins and over time cut grooves in them.

The Clubs book on the Front and Rear Axle describes a method for removing the pins. It says to drill a hole in the pin 7/32" deep and tap it for a 10-32 thread

Then using a threaded rod, spacer and nut, pull the pin out.

Well, this did not work as easy as stated. So I heated the case, but was concerned that if I pulled when the metal was hot, I'd just pull out the new threads. So I just lightly tapped the metal hopeing that the pin may loosen up. After the metal cooled to room temperature. I started to pull and the pin started to move. I got it out about 0.020" when the 10 32 threads on the nut gave away. Well, this was better than the threads in the pin. I changed my little jig by using a head of a large bolt that I converted into a BIG 10 32 nut.

After slowly turning the new nut, one flat at a time, the pin walked right out. This worked for me.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration