Too many leaves?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Too many leaves?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 12:29 am:

Since dismantling the TT last winter I've been stripping and painting a few pieces at a time. Recently when I came to reassembling the front spring, I noticed that it had eight leaves, not seven. You can see in the picture that there are two of the the long leaves that go on top of the one that holds the shackles. Apparently somebody added the extra leaf for heavy duty suspension. I assume the clips came from some other make of vehicle, as the standard T clips won't fit around the extra leaf. I'm inclined to leave the extra leaf in unless there's a good reason not to do so. Any opinions on whether this might present some unanticipated problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim in Indiana on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 02:34 pm:

Steve-if it was me I would leave it like it is.I had the same exact deal on a TT chassis I recently sold to a friend.I can not prove it,but I believe these were an aftermarket heavy duty spring.I also had this same spring on a 1919 TT that had longer versions of the p/n 3808 u bolts to hold it on.I have never seen any of these longer u bolts in a price list of parts. Someone somewhere along the line your spring center bolt has been replaced with along bolt to help draw it together.Your whole front end,spring and all appear to be in great shape!Also,greatly enjoyed your website an your tractors..And,from 1971 at the age of ten until 2005 I mowed the yard and barnyard-about 3 acres- at the home farm with an Allis C. I also raked a helluva bunch of hay with our B.My brother now owns both those tractors along with other B's and C's including one with a mounted sicle-bar mower. Jim

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration