Windshield Removal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Windshield Removal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Dobson on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 07:19 pm:

Can someone tell me how to remove a windshield from a 1926 Model T Ford coupe. I hate to break it in the process. The screws around the frame seem to be stripped or frozen in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 07:53 pm:

There are about 6-8 1/4" nuts and bolts that go through the windshield frame hinge into the body panel above the windshield. They are through bolts so if you have the upholstery in place above the windshield you will need to remove it first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Ducharme on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 08:48 pm:

I am not certain about a 26, but on the 27 coupe, the windshield needs to be lifted up (I forget whether it is 1/3 or 1/2 the way up - maybe more) and then just slid to the right (or left). The screws do not need to be removed.

Might need to put some lubricant in the hinge to make it easier to remove. It is also easier to remove with assistance of another person.

Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Dobson on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 11:30 pm:

Thank you Jeff and Robert for your feedback. I am having the body repaired and painted so I have removed all glass and mouldings thus far except the windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 02:01 pm:

There are two oval-head screws (if memory serves me correctly) in the top corners. These have to come out because the windshield frame splits upper from lower at this point. These two screws hold the tabs that fit into inner slots on the mating frames.

Sometimes, once you have the frame out of the car and have all the screws removed, it's easier to cover the windshield with an old blanket, smash the glass, carefully remove the shards from the frame and then tap the frame apart with a mallet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 02:06 pm:

You should have safety glass in the windshild. If you have the old solid plate glass it should be removed and replaced. In past years many people had their faces scarred or worse by shattered plate glass windshields. In some states the law requires safety glass.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By EDWARD R LEVY on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 02:22 pm:

Norman is right on the mark.
Be sure to find a car glass place that knows what they are doing !!! & be willing to spend some xtra time & perhaps $$$ on the process. I had this done on my '16 Touring car & it was only done correctly when a friend put me on to the one place in my area that could handle the chore correctly(it wasn't a 10 minute process)
Edward R. Levy
P.S. Does anyone know when safety glass became the standard.(I don't mean the law but rather the industry standard for delivery of new cars)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 10:26 am:

The Model A had it in the windshield in '28. Seems to me that some high-end car had it farther back but I think they had problems with the material used between the sheets of glass.

I used to play on the remains of a '29 Chevy coach that consisted of the running gear, radiator, hood and cowl section. When I started climbing on the steering wheel and over the top of the windshield (I was 3 years old), my dad sawed the top of the windshield frame off and removed the plate glass so I assume GM hadn't started using it at that point.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration