A rare opportunity for you all

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: A rare opportunity for you all
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 09:40 am:

I am trying to come up with a name of a business advertisement to paint on my Model AA truck. The purpose of getting this AA was so that I could haul my T racer to the "racers" (car shows). I'm looking for a period(1920 - 30's)name. I'm looking for something like a "Overbrook Gas and Garage", "Hays Street Ford Repair", a business name, real or not, in the automotive field from the 20's - 30's. If you can think of a real business name, I would like to have some history of the business. Thanks all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 09:44 am:

Does the Topeka public library have newspapers from that period on microfilm, or do they have old city directories? If so, you could go through looking at ads or listings and see what you find that might work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 09:57 am:

Tyrone,

How about "Cornhusker Garage", with "Go Big Red" underneath it. Being from Kansas, I thought you might appreciate that one :-).

OK, just a thought...........

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:12 am:

lol Oh yeah Bob my wife the J-hawker would let me do that.lol Thanks anyway. lol. When the wife and me went to get the truck she made sure to be wearing her KANSAS shirt. I was just waiting for the looks of the locals.

Thanks Dick, great idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:29 am:

"T & A Body Shop" Need help with the art?

"Half Fast Racing" is already well known.

"Typhoon Wind Machines" BTW, Typhoon is what I called the Tyrone who grew up on our street.

"P&O Movers" That's the name of a piano moving company in Socalif.

"Thomas and Father T&A Racing"

This pic is on the wall at Original Mike's in Santa Ana. Sound like a loser's name to me.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:34 am:

It doesn't show in the pic, but Kant Skore are piston rings.

"Topeka Tyrone's Tin Lizzies"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:55 am:

Thanks Rick, I have that on my racer. Looks really neat.

Sorry Rob, I said Bob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:57 am:

Well, let's see it, Tyrone.. I knew somebody was going to use it; couldn't remember who.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrea Davide on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 11:24 am:

I have a book (actually two volumes) on model T accessories, printed in the seventies.
I suppose someone the right place of the Atlantic has a copy available or I'll try to scan some of the pictures.

There is a lot of nice graphics and funny use of phonetics at that time, like kwik instead of quick E-Z for easy and the like.

Something on this line could be nice for your car.

Andrea

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grant Baker on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:50 pm:

I would some day like to open a business for Model A and T repairs and name it "Slow Spokes Auto Repair"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 01:01 pm:

I think Dave Dunlavy has the "Busted Knuckles Garage."

"Skinned Knuckles" is a magazine, so copyrighted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 02:30 pm:

The "Busted Knuckle Garage" brand is owned by Warren Tracy. We manufacture the signs. In fact, I'll be making a batch next week.
http://www.signpast.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Sumerall on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 05:25 pm:

How about "Topeka Tires & Tubes", "Sunflower Transport Co.", or "Junction City Jalopy". Whatever you decide on you could put on the line below "Phone 127" or some three digit old number that would be era-correct. Selecting an old style font for the lettering would add to it.

MIKE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tman on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 06:21 pm:

Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe
Automotive Garage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 06:49 pm:

I like Adrian Whitman's new profile pic. I like that phrase, "General Haulage". It sounds "period to me, and the pinstriping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 06:57 pm:

Awww comeon...the obvious is TT Hauling...haha...done in a period script.....

Everyone could then constantly remind Tyrone its really an AA and he goofed.....

TT? Tyrone Thomas

Even his missus should go along with that. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 07:13 pm:

I would think "Thomas Dray Service" would be about as close to period as one could get for a truck. My TT was the dray truck in Plevna, Montana from 1926 to about 1940.

The name of this joint, by the way, is Wideawake Garage. Named after an old garage in Winnett, Montana where the sign said, "24 hour service, knock hard on back door." The guy slept on a cot in the back of the garage or upstairs in the rafters, I never could figure out which. Somewhere I have a picture of it, the sign was painted over one that said, "Buggies, Carriages and Horses for rent." They were both so faded when I took the picture 35 years or so ago you could barely read them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 07:24 pm:

"TT Drayage" would bring on the questions.

"Tyrone Power House" would confuse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:57 pm:

"Precious Metal Mine" ?

A little cute perhaps, but the thought struck as the 'mine' can have dual meanings

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Wilson on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 03:31 am:

Then there's "Miracle Pie Company" with the slogan below the sign "If it's a good pie, it's a Miracle"

Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Tuominen on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 07:39 am:

Art - That remines me of the Fluke electrical meters... If it works, it's a Fluke. Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 09:31 am:

Oh my god Art, people are looking me as to why I'm laughing so hard. Thats like when I was a kid, my dad always asked me why Wonder Bread was called that, "Wonder how the hell you can eat it". Boy you brought back so good memories. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 09:47 am:

You know why they call Underwood's Deviled Ham just that, don'tcha?

'Cause it makes one helluva sandwich!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 04:13 pm:

How about - "Grandpa's Radiator Fix - best place in town to take a leak"

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration