Triple Gear Bushings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Triple Gear Bushings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stanzione on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 04:59 pm:

Not to fear folks this is not about Running Fit.....

On Page 79 of the Ford Manual, Paragraph 292, after it talks about running fit it says that when installing new bushings to make sure that the flange face of the bushings project from .006 to .010 over the side of the gears. See Figure 197.

I just installed new bushings and when I checked this measurement the flange faces project more than .035 beyond the gear. Seems like an awfully fat flange on what we are getting from our suppliers.

My question is, what would happen if this was not brought down to the .006 to .010. Would it lead to a very noisy transmission or have no affect on noise. What other issues would you run in to if this tolerance was not applied properly?

Thanks in advance for your expert input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 05:56 pm:

If you don't face ream them the clutch won't line up properly or not at all. BTDT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 06:04 pm:

I ran into the same thing. It caused the triple gears to bind against the gears on the drums in a side to side manner. Or maybe it was that they bound against the front drum. I don't remember exactly where now. All was well until I put the clutch hub on. When I got it into the proper position, I could barely turn the drums. There were some on here that doubted that was my problem, but it sure went away when I faced off the bushings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 06:57 pm:

Just be darn sure the edges of the triple gears don't ride against the the flywheel. Sometimes .006-.010" isn't enough because the area where the flange rides against the flywheel is worn. I usually set the height at .012-.015" to be on the safe side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - SAT on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 07:43 pm:

\i["Sometimes .006-.010" isn't enough because the area where the flange rides against the flywheel is worn."]

What did you do to fix the flywheel? Or did you leave the flywheel dished and make the bushing bigger? How long will that last?

As far as the bushings having a thick flange from the suppliers, I've never seen a bushing supplied in "finished form" from ANY supplier. Model T supplier or not.

Having the flange set too thick will cause the triple gears to rub against the reverse drum gear. It may also cause the brake drum to set too high and you won't be able to install the shims or get the clutch disk all the way on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 08:14 pm:

Ken, I didn't do anything to repair the flywheel. I suppose a guy could the machine the surface of the flywheel since an uneven wear pattern encourages the triple gear to tilt, but I never really saw the need. Just so long as there is enough meat on the replacement flange so the edge of the triple gear doesn't rub against the flywheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard G Goelz on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 10:13 am:

In reading through the Transmission overhaul book and the engine book they only make a passing remark about the flange setting,the only place this information is shown in detail is the service manual,so some people would not be aware of this if using only the book and not the service manual.
Just an observation.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:00 pm:

If the face of the triple gear bushing is not faced to the proper amount, the gear will rub against the reverse drum, and if it's worn too much, it will start eating away at the flywheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stanzione on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 05:17 pm:

What about the noise factor. Assuming that the transmission was working, clutch was engaging fine and all, would not facing these bushings make things noisier than normal?

Thanks
Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 05:51 pm:

Transmissions are pretty quiet when you can't get them to go back together cause you didn't face those bushings. Gues I've been lucky cause I've never had a real noisy tranny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 09:37 pm:

Hmmmm. My low and reverse are noisier than most I heard at Richmond. There is no noise in high. I didn't know about facing the bushings when I rebuilt my tranny 3 years ago. Since it runs well, I'll probably leave it. I'll consider this on rebuilding the next 2 trannys.
Noel

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration