'27 steering shaft question?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: '27 steering shaft question?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Dempsey on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 08:45 pm:

I know that the steering ratio in 26/27 changed to 5 to 1. Which changed the size and number of teeth in the center steering gear.
Why aren't the shafts of previous years compatible...is there any way to convert a previous year shaft to a '27 shaft?

Thanks ahead of time,
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott rosenthal on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 09:31 pm:

John:
The central gear and 3 planetary gears are changed for 5:1 ratio. The earlier cars are easily changed to 5:1 by changing out these gears and the steering shaft. Note that the shaft must be changed also, since the centers between the planetaries and the central gear change. BTW, the 5:1 gears will fit into the earliest brass gear housing just fine. I'm currently running this set-up in my 12, for better jack-knife control.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:01 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Dempsey on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:11 pm:

Thanks, Seth.....appreciate the diagrams!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Dempsey on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:12 pm:

Sorry......didn't mean to leave you out Scott!

Appreciate the answers.

John

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration