By popular demand - 1924 T Bobtail racer photos

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: By popular demand - 1924 T Bobtail racer photos
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:34 pm:

Sorry they are'nt larger. I have to make the photos so darn small to get on here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:48 pm:

Rick? I do get alot of comments regarding the "Kant-Skore". I owe you for bringing this to my attention - Kant skore. I love it. People at car shows love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:51 pm:

Slick machine there, bud!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 11:05 pm:

Hey buddy. Hows old Seth? Hows life in gater county?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 11:10 pm:

Old Seth is doin' fine, thanks. Nice and warm these days in sunny Caddo parish. We Louisianians have parishes - 'tis a Catholic thing ya know...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:18 am:

Idea, Ty: Take a profile pic of the car like the original pic, write a short story with it, and I'll take it to Original Mike's. They just might mount it with the original.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 02:45 am:

Hey Seth, Hope y'all had a grand Holiday Season!
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 05:10 am:

You betcha, Bob. I hope y'all had a great one as well. Actually, I'm kind of glad it's over since I ate entirely too much - not that I had "six-pack abs" in October!

Seth :-))

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 09:21 am:

yea Rick I'll do that. Sounds like fun. I'll get back with you when the temps warm up a bit. thanks. ty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ty on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 09:53 am:

Rick I can get a trunk and put all my trophes on it too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 10:34 am:

Good.

Go to maps.google.com and punch in:
Original Mike's, Santa Ana, ca

I couldn't find if they have a site, but you can see the reviews.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eric o'hara on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 02:32 pm:

Tyrone,
Thanks for sharing these pictures, more inspiration for me.I will never get bored of these rakish old girls. She looks great.
Eric.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 03:08 pm:

Tyrone,

What did you do for the front end? The old eyes can't get close enough to the computer screen to see for sure.

Machine sure looks sweet enough. I'm jealously green with envy :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 04:55 pm:

George. To start, through months of researching race cars of the 20's one thing I found some moved the engine back 6 inches to better balance the weight between the front and rear. That meant I had to cut 6 inches out of the drive shaft and tube. Also had to install a second crossmember 6inches back for the front engine mount.
Now being that the cooling fan is now 6 inches more removed from the radiator, I had to move the radiator back the same 6.
Because most of my 6'4" height is in my torso I wanted to raise the hood line so that I would not overpower the car and look stupid by being too tall in the seat. I raised the radiator and top hood and body line up 3 inches by using 3 x 1.75 inch steel rectangle tubing on its short side. This then caused the fan to sit to low to the radiator so I installed a fan bracket for a 26/27 T. Doing that brought the center of the fan more in line with the center of the radiator.
Now not to make a short story long but here is what I think you are asking for. And George you have to promise not to tell anyone my secret. OK??
I took a front crossmember made "V" cuts in the two vertical side webs (hard to draw a picture with just words) at the ends of the flat section where the engine sits, on the orginal member. Putting the member on the floor upside down I pressed it down till the crossmember was now flat across the top. This brought the four (8) sides of the "V" cuts together enough to weld back closed and make solid again. I then made two "Z" brackets and bolted then to the bottom of the orginal, still in place crossmember. I ran bolts vertical and horazontal throught the brackets and the orginal crossmember to make it a solid joint. I did beef up the the joint with some extra metal. I then bolted the now flatten crossmember (flat side up) to the underside of the top part of the Z. I used two bolts. Then I took the orginal spring mount that has the hole for the starting crank handle goes through? I took that and turned it upside down to normal and used it to hold the springs in the crossmember. As luck would have it I could lengthen my crank handle
6 inches and it fit perfectly through the now upside down spring mount so I can still crank start my car which is good sense like any true race car is stripped down to the bare needed items to run.
So it is so long. If you want send me an email to
smilebigtt@yahoo.com and I will send you close up photos of what I did. ty
PS I'm to tired now to proof read all this, so please forgive any mistakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 06:25 pm:

Thanks Ty,

That answers the question....and I won't tell a soul...lol...I can make out the other mods <w>

Pretty neat way to do it and the body lift works out the proportions nice :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 09:57 pm:

Tyrone,

Great looking T! Thanks for posting the photos and inspiring many of the rest of us.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration