Brass mag clamp bolts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Brass mag clamp bolts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wilf bradbury on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 11:57 pm:

I have just worked on our 13 engine and the flywheel brass mag clamp bolts are a finer thread than the repro bolts sent to me by Snyders. According to Snyders there is only one standard thread for these bolts. Has anyone else run into this problem? The bolt length and diameter are the same.
Wilf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:03 am:

Try Lang's or one of the other suppliers. One of them should have the correct ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 09:02 am:

You posted before about this problem? Someone then suggested that your flywheel has been re-tapped to maybe 1/4" x 28 or 32, presumably because they couldn't find the right bolts last time the engine was apart. This seems the likely answer to me.

I have 2 1909/10 style flywheels in pieces, the early style with 'horseshoe' magnets and wired bolts in blind holes (so no peening). These are definitely 24tpi and I assume ASME #14 'cos I can't find a tap that fits.

I think you're going to be looking for a new flywheel or making custom bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:01 pm:

The correct thread size for T-3278 magnet clamp screw is 14 X 24 ASME.
T-3278 Magnet Clamp Screw
Taps this size are available, but not common.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wilf bradbury on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:38 pm:

Yes I did post this before, but didn't get much response.
You chaps have answered my questions this time, thanks kindly, great help.
Cheers Wilf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Brown on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 02:32 am:

I got a tap from my local Napa store.Told them the correct size and thread. They had one in their warehouse in Portland OR and ordered it in for me. Cost less than $5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wilf bradbury on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 10:19 pm:

Dennis
Did you re-tap the fine threads to the standard threads?
Wilf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff rey L. Vietzke on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 01:41 pm:

This came up a couple of years ago. If I am remembering correctly, some repo ring gears were tapped with the modern size thread pitch, and repro brass mag screws were cut to fit these. These particular mag screws won't work with an original T flywheel with the original thread pitch (14x24). I got my screws from Snyders, and they were the right ones.( in 2006)

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration