Rocky Mountain 6 speed transmission for TT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Rocky Mountain 6 speed transmission for TT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 01:05 pm:

Hi all..

I have no pictures yet but it appears that I have a Rocky Mountain 6 speed trans. for a TT. When I got the 27 TT along with it came an extra trans. and drive shaft. I took the rust off so I could see what it was and found it was the Rocky Mountain , and from LA, but the number of the "speed transmission" was so corroded that I could not see what "speed" it was. I thought it might be a 3 speed.

Then I discovered it was a 6 speed while leafing through Murray F's book, saw a picture and description, and went out to the shop and it is identical.

Anyone know anything about these things? The ad in the book says that there is an underdrive and an overdrive and can make TTs go 30 MPH!! (no whiplash, I assume)

Thanks

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 02:28 pm:

Actually its an under/over& straight through transmission,or 3 speed. They get the 6 speeds by using the Ford two speed trans as the multiplier. Some also have a reverse giving you a double reverse for a 7th forward speed and couple more reverse speeds also by combinations of the two transmissions. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 02:38 pm:

I don't know anything about a RM 6 speed for a TT, but I'd be interested in knowing how many of the 6 are underdrive and how many are overdrive. I would assume 1 is direct drive, so there are a number of possibilities for the remianing 5 gears.

Does it have a reverse? Dang. If so, you get about 13 forward gear combinations and about 8 to back up, I think. 6 with L/H (12) and R/R (1) forward (13 total), 6 in R (6) and R L/H (2) (8 total). Anyone else have a different count?

My Muncie 3 speed (under, direct, over) will deliver about 30 MPH with a low ratio rear end, so I'm betting the 6 speed will do at leat that, and probably faster, depending on what the ratios are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 02:40 pm:

Bob and I were writing at the same time. His response makes sense. I can't imagine what you'd do with a 6 speed aux transmission, except spend all your time shifting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 03:04 pm:

Funny, Henry.. I have had that same idea about some of this..

And I can see how the 6 speed comes out.. I thought it was rather small to have 6 speeds within the housing.

Is there anybody that has actually used or is using a transmission of this type? Mine is "frozen" and I can see some slight rust from condensation. I will probably disassemble it and check it out if for no other reason than interest.

Photos will come...

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 03:45 pm:

My TT has a 3 speed w/reverse Muncie. Different maker, but same idea, although I do not know if the gear ratio's are exactly the same. It really helps having the extra gears. In a parade I can put it in first/lo or sometimes first/hi and idle along with ease. When I want to travel, 3rd/hi gives me about 30 MPH, so I can pretty well keep up with town traffic.

I don't know how experienced you are with these old cars and trucks, but if you decide to use the 3 speed there is one important thing to consider. The 3 speed can get stuck between gears. That renders the stock T transmission brake useless. Consider a set of auxillary brakes to go with it. They are a necessity in my opinon.

Good Luck!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 04:46 pm:

If I remember right the Rocky Mtn is progressive shift with four detents; low range, neutral, direct and over. You must go through each to go up to the next or down to the previous gear. They seem to have a nice split in the gear ratios, I liked the one I've driven and would certainly put one in a TT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 06:07 pm:

Boy, that is interesting... I am not even close to being experienced with these old cars and trucks. Really, a newbie, as they say. But I sure am learning a lot!

I am taking two engines (1912 roadster and '27 TT) over to a builder in Carson City tomorrow morning.. I have learned enough to know that I want someone experienced building these engines. The last engines I built were VWs in the late 60's and one of the challenges was keeping my hair out of moving parts... if you catch my drift!

I will disassemble the Rocky Mtn. transmission to clean it up... absolutely not workable as it is. I have considered a Warford, but they are quite expensive at 2.7K. Perhaps this thing will do the trick if it is repairable.

I have heard so much about additional brakes that I plan to do that for sure. My TT is missing the emergency brakes even.. I have posted to correct this and the parts are available.. I just have been preoccupied with the engines at this moment. I live in the mountains and that is reason enough to need safety. I am considering the disc brakes that have been posted on this forum.

Thanks.. great info.. I will photo the Rocky Mountain as I take it apart..

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:32 pm:

Michael I think I still have 3-4 Rocky Mountain 6 spds, but only 1 shift handle, I also have part of the 2nd handle, but its missing the part that goes around the driveshaft housing up front like the ruxstell shift mounts. I do not have one in a vehicle, as I've purchased them at auctions as an accessory trans. I still have complete sets of brake TT shoes, although I shipped a 1/2 shoe today a fellow had his chassis fall of his jack stands and broke a 1/2 shoe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 12:22 am:

I worked on a TT about two years ago and it had TWO auxillary transmissions. The owner became confused and I wired one to be direct ony and I explained how the remaining device had three speeds, direct, under and overdrive. When used with the Ford trany, it gives six speeds. In overdrive+direct it would work up to 33-35 mph and low+low would pull a house down..
Just why a second auxillary was ever added is beyond me...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 12:46 am:

Tony, I have a 3 speed aux. trans. and in lo-lo it is very slow but when I drive in a cow pasture lo-lo is to slow and low/with the pedal out is too fast. Back in the day, if you were plowing down a mud road in axle-deep mud with tire-chains on for a few hours with a load, It would be awfully nice to let off the pedal, plus your bands would not be engaged. Just an observation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 01:38 am:

A novice here, but I took my Rocky Mountain 3 speed apart, put it back together. Best I could tell, 3 detents only no neutral - could be wrong for sure, but thats the way it looked and felt. Dont have it in the truck yet, hopefully this year. I have to get the book you talked about Macheal, I would like to get any info on them I could. It cracked me up when I got mine, Rocky Mountain transmission, then I found out they were made in L.A. - I live in L.A., I thought they was made in the mountains :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 01:40 am:

Another question, with a TT do you think you need Rocky Mountain brakes? The TT's have a pretty big set of brakes on the rear, just curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 09:51 am:

The stock service brake on a TT is the transmission brake, same as a regular T. The big rear drums are only emergency brakes, not intended for "service" use. I'd look at Rocky Mountian or Bennett for good auxillary brakes. Thet use the same big drum utilizing a band on the outer surface.

There are some differences between the Rocky Mountian and the Bennett brakes. RM's are anchored at the end of the band, providing great stopping when moving forward, but limited stopping when backing. The Bennetts are anchored at the center of the band, which provides equal braking when moving forward or backward.

I have Bennetts and think they're great. Just my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 01:14 am:

Thanks Henry, I was unclear about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 04:21 pm:

Well, Tom, the book is the one by Murray Fahnestock, and the only information in it is in the ad for the transmission, which is promotional and not very informational.

Mine is a bit locked up and I will put some fluids in it and wait a while to open it up and see what shape it is in. It came with a shortened drive shaft so when put together it should fit my TT.

My TT also has a Ruckstell. I would suppose that one could spend furious time shifting all of this stuff if it was needed, or leaving the Ruckstell in high unless one needed to have the added speed options of flying it all together at the same time.

Dan, I moved my two engines out of my shop and to an incredible fellow in Carson City, Ed Katorski, and am letting him do what he does to them (you should see his shop.. incredible). That frees me up to put the time into the rest of the TT and the 12. So, I still need brakes, have several options, am interested in Rocky or Bennetts, and other small things. I do like the idea of being able to brake going forward or backward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 02:22 am:

Michael if you are missing any parts to the Rocky mountain trans. Mine is complete, if you need a photo of a part or something, thanks for the info on the book. It would be neat to find more info, dont know if there is any out there though. It would be fun to swing by where they were made here in L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ttyoder on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 05:30 pm:

Do you have the origional shift lever for your Rockey Mountain trans?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 06:56 pm:

The original shift lever is interesting with the detents. There was one for sale on ebay last year...sold for $239. It should be easy to make, but it won't say "Rocky Mountain 6 speed"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:25 am:

John and TTYoder I need just the base of the RM 6 spd shift handle , the part that goes around the U-Joint area w/ the indents, I have the actual Handle w/the little thin RM 6 spd denoted onto the arm of the handle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 02:21 am:

I think so, but I am not sure. I never noticed any letters on mine. I will have to look at it again tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Owen - Elizabethtown, KY on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 03:53 am:

Tom,
I have a RM 6 spd and the shifter but am missing how the drive shaft connection is made. I would like any information you have on how they were coupled to the drive shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:56 pm:

Tom..

The ad I saw had two addresses.. one in LA and the other on Van Ness in San Francisco.

I have all of the tranny, but none of the connections. It is my thought that a shifter linkage and apparatus can be made from a Ruckstell. These are available through the vendors.

John Danuser.. if you have anything forward of the trans, let me know. I also have a Ruckstell in the TT.. that means that have both of them available for use (and I don't see any reason to remove the Ruckstell and then search for a new axel), I will have two shift handles and knobs thrusting out of the floor.. It will look real interesting... What do you think?

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:46 pm:

Michael I actually have 2 complete, and a pc of one, I've never taken them apart to see how they are connected to the d. shaft or to the rear end. One of them I tried to take apart but to no avail so I put it away for now, COLD here, no garage doors, no heat if I had the space or garage doors?? One of them has most of the makings of a set of outside brakes on them, don't know what brand. As I missed a gear in my al case warford or Muncie, forget what I have, my wife and I took a Harried ride on a tea cup hill in oklahoma 20 plus years ago, we live on mostly flat ground, so the emergency brakes weren't set up tight so we went down the hill and BACKWARDS faster , steering backwards in neutral w/out a drivers door is TOUGH, all the way to the left, all the way to the right, finally threw it into a ditch and was stopped by trees growing out of the bluff, front end of frame twisted uptowards the road, back end twisted up towards bluff, we lived thru it because I had 26-7 front wire wheels and hubs on it, if they would have been the wood wheels we wouldn't have been here now. We've not driven the 26 TT in 20 plus years, just last year I took off a set of decent used Rocky Mountains or Bennetts don't know which, so when we install them will get the TT back out, presently up on jack stands to save the rear tires, the front end is up on a 3 point antique jack, minus front wheels and hubs. Truck was restored in 1975-76, just found a fairly good left door that has to be cleaned up. patched and installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 02:30 am:

I have I think everything - though, it might be a mix of ruckstell shifter parts, not sure. As my shifter does not have anything printed on it. I too have a ruckstell on my truck, maybe its the same shifter. Though I did'nt think so because it is bent alot more towards the back of the truck. The ruckstell shifter is straight up on mine.
I will take some photo's of my couplings, for connecting the drive shaft and send them to you Charlie,e mail. I have not been able to figure out how to post photo's on here. I know I have everything I need to hook mine up, but now I dont know if there the original or correct parts. Guess Iam looking for brakes too, man I got alot to learn - kind of fun though.
I have the two shifters too, but think I will change it out for a none ruckstell rear - mainly because I like the looks of the thinner one better and I thought, I dont need 2 underdrives, its so slow already :-)

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration