Old rusty tools

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Old rusty tools
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 06:04 pm:

After restoring my 1924 TT C CAB, I have been picking up some orginal tools to go with it. I am new to restoring so my truck is around the farm and tractor shows, parade truck not a show truck. Do you guys sandblast the tools and paint them? or leave them rusty Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 06:07 pm:

I clean mine and paint them with flat black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DAREL J. LEIPOLD on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 07:42 pm:

Never sand blast them and never, never paint any tool that was not painted originally. Some T tools were painted and I am sure others will comment on that. Some use farm feed type molasses to soak the rusty items in. A natural "acid" cleans them up real well. I rub clean tools with thin oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Warrington on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 07:51 pm:

I use a #80 glass bead to blast them with. I use a small blaster from Harbor Freight, cheap and good. The glass bead does no damage other than make them shine, then I paint with Duplicolor black lacquer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 09:45 pm:

ok, so i can bead blast them. Now how do i know which were painted and which were not? Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 10:02 pm:

You don't. Some were finished in kind of a matte-black,while others were just a tool finish. Most of the 5Z tools were nickle plated. To expensive today to reproduce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 10:10 pm:

Not an expert, just an opinion. I am constantly picking up dollar tools here and there that have Ford script, have even been known to go to 5 bucks for a prime example :-)

Still don't have a screwdriver and my guess would be that the handle was dipped. My best guess would be from what I have gathered so far is that there is strong evidence that most 'as forged' tools were not painted to begin with. I have a lot of 'bares' that simply were someones spare tools in a box and I can't imagine someone stripping them that clear and complete, or wear and tear doing such a thorough 'scrub'.

The ones that I have that are painted are obviously repaints somewhere along the line. Can't say that any in my horde show evidence of a factory paint job which probably would have been a japan enamel/lacquer dip if they ever were 'coated'.

Others may have different experience, or know a better story, but I offer what I have surmised over time.

Give them a good coat of oil and a wipedown, store them in a roll or rag roll, and they usually won't fuzz.

While I have not done it myself, the molasses wipe is also a good idea. The film that remains contains natural sugar, and with the sugar the iron will not oxidize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 10:28 pm:

I've got painted, unpainted, rusty, the usual hodge-podge. The only tool I felt fairly sure of original paint was the "monkey wrench". I've seen several of them that had a fair amount of what to me looked like "Black Japan" left on them, I wonder if it varied with different tool suppliers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 09:09 am:

Wire wheel works really well to clean things like Model T tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 09:51 am:

Tools that are not badly rusted can be soaked in muriatic acid used for swimming pools and readily available, if you wear eye protection and work outside. Once clean, they have to be immediately washed in soapy water, dried and painted or they will rust again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garner on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 10:05 am:

I soak mine in Evaporust, they come out bare steel. I then simply use gun blue to make them a nice black similar to original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 10:17 am:

Many of the Ford "Z" service tools had a shiny plating on them, nickel or zinc or something like that. There is some evidence that the tools that came with the car were not painted. There have been many threads discussing tool paint (or no paint).

Many of the Z tools are not necessary today because there is a better quality cheaper modern tool that will do the same thing. Here is a list of some of the Ford tools that I think are necessary for routine maintenance of a model T: 1349 Hub Cap Wrench, 5Z204 Exhaust Nut Wrench, 5Z829 Transmission Band Ratchet, 5Z817 Carburator Wrench, and the 5Z287 Wheel Puller for car, or 5Z288 Wheel Puller for Trucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:47 pm:

Jeff,feel free to send all those unnecessary Z tools to me. I collect them.(G)

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration