TT Overdrive - AA Reduction Box Adaption

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: TT Overdrive - AA Reduction Box Adaption
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 03:04 am:

We are exploring the installation of an AA auxilary reduction box to the TT. By reversing it we expect to get an overdrive instead of the "standard" reduction.
Warford and other auxilary boxes are like hen's teeth here in NZ, so we are planning to use the AA reduction box we have on hand.

QUESTION: Has anyone done this already? Any advice or suggestions out there?

I belive the AA reduction box is plantary - so no danger of hitting neutral. My friend has one installed as an overdrive in his 31 V8, so know it will handle the power.

Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 04:31 am:

'31 V8 ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 04:33 am:

'31 V8 ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 05:17 am:

Sorry, bad typing - how about a '32.
Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 02:00 pm:

Adrian - Speaking of "bad typing", me too! Don't know how the double post happened, but anyway, thanks,.....thought maybe the new '32 Ford flathead V8 showed up a little earlier in Australia or something else strange that I had missed. Thanx,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene k. french on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 10:56 pm:

adrian:
haven't done this myself but i have heard that people did indeed reverse the AA gear reduction to produce an overdrive ...have been told this by several local wrecking yard old timers
i believe this was done on vehicals with splined tailshafts instead of the square type ...machine an adapter though and it's off to the rodeo ...
best regards
gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 05:55 am:

Thanks Gene, I think we might give this a shot. Nothing to lose but money I guess! Although that is pretty hard to find nowadays and best left in the pocket when you get some :-)

I am also looking at a Woodward aux box (see seperate post) but the safety of planetary gears (always in mesh) appeals as it should reduce the risk of finding an unwanted neutral at the wrong time.

Cheers
Adrian

(Harold - no problem, better to post twice than to miss out! Unfortunatly there was no early releases of V8s down under - but that would make an interesting tale if it had happened - and worth asking about. Sorry to remove the glimmer of hope for a good story!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:49 pm:

SHE WORKS!
The AA auxiliary box is installed and works as advertised, well, after we swapped it end for end it works as an overdrive unit now instead of a step down.

It is fitted about 2/3rds of the way down the torque tube to share weight on the rear axle rather than the transmission. Clears the Ruckstell shift rod, muffler and deck beams (flat deck supports across the chassis rails) as if it was designed to go there.

Took the comfortable cruising speed from 20MPH to 30MPH without strain - and on a tired engine ready for rebuild. May go faster if really pushed.

Now has 8 forward and 4 reverse gears - now to sort them out and figure what is best for where, but Ford High/Overdrive/Ruckstell High is "top" and Ford High/Overdrive/Ruckstell Low is pretty good around town.

Photos to follow, but may be a bit delayed as we have just got the job done and are now off tomorrow to the New Zealand T centenary rally for a week of rallying and events.

Cheers
Adrian

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration