Sump plug

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Sump plug
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Hoban on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 06:04 am:

Had a problem recently. The sump plug was so tight that it was turning the billet into which is was screwed.

No plug out so sump full of oil!

My magneto works well so I didn't want to disturb the magnets with MIG welding.

But, could I oxy weld with the sump full of oil? Decisions, decisions! I needed to stop the billet turning so I could get the sump plug out and drain the oil.

So I talked to an auto electrician who said that I would not damage the magneto if:

I limited the MIG welding to a few seconds each time,
That I had a good local ground.

So I did, and burned a hole in the sump adjacent to the plug and billet! All the oil drained out quick time (it was hot!)

So I did what all T'ers do when faced with the impossible problem, stopped, reflected on my misfortune, discussed it with others and worried.

Along came a young welder who cleaned the hole and MIGéd it closed in a few seconds. Don't you hate young people for their confidence and derring-do!

So I refilled it with the old oil and drove home,
set the sump oil collector and removed the plug.

This weekend I will carefully examine the billet, seal it somehow (advice gratefully received), refill with new oil.

I now have reasonable hope that the sump plug and billet will not fall out and cause me some very serious embarrassment on the Australia Day rally next weekend.

Has this ever happened to you and what did you do about it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 02:58 pm:

Nope, it's not happenned to me, but I'm just a novice with these cars. Could you drill and tap the billet through the pan and place a short screw or bolt? That would hold it from turning and allow you to remove the plug.
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By warren rollins on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:47 pm:

I had the same problem , cussed and discussed the problem until I decided that the only way to fix it was to replace the pan. Lots of work but the plug works now and I did other needed things with the engine out. Good luck on your simpler solution. This problem was on a pointed nose pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Hoban on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 05:10 am:

Success, sort of.

I took the car to a friend with a four poster hoist and a MIG welder. He got two spot welds on but on the third, blew a hole in the sump and all the oil drained out.

Disaster!!

We managed to salvage some of the oil.

One of his junior employees managed to MIG weld the hole closed so we refilled the oil and tried to start it.

Hallelujah it started and ran well on magneto!!

Took it home, drained the oil and then cleaned the whole sump plug area. I remoulded the area with JB Weld and put more oil in. In two days, no leaks!!

So I will approach this weekend's Australia Day rally with a great deal more confidence.

It promises to be 26 Degrees Celsius on Sunday (90 degrees in American terms) just nice for an enjoyable day in the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By warren rollins on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:39 am:

Glad the weld is working for you. I know you will have a great time on the rally. I can't wait until it warms up here.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration