How to replace missing threads?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: How to replace missing threads?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 01:08 pm:

The drain valve that holds the bowl on the NH carburetor is supposed to screw in here. But this carburetor sat with water in it for so long that there's not enough left of the threads for the fitting to catch. The thread size appears to be 1/2-24. There's no Helicoil made in that size. Before I bite the bullet and buy a whole new carburetor, I thought I'd see if anyone has a less costly fix for this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 01:27 pm:

Braze it. Bore it. And tap it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 01:41 pm:

If you cant do it that way, how about, file some off the bottom re-cut the slots and take some off the bowl where it fits up to the casting. You would have to keep every thing lined up but could work. BTDT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A.Boer on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 02:17 pm:

Hi Steve;
The thread that you need is: 9/16 x 24 good luc

Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 05:17 pm:

The threads don't look sooo bad. Could half the problem be the brass drain valve? Would trying another work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 10:11 pm:

I'm with Jerry, those threads don't really look that bad. A new, or different, drain valve might be the ticket!
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 10:35 pm:

Steve,If you don't have the tap,I do. I will tap it for you if you send it here and pay shipping back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - SAT on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 10:46 pm:

Probably cost less to just buy the tap. I think they're about $12 or $13 for a 9/16-24. Shipping a carb both ways would cost that much and take about 10-15 days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:31 pm:

Wouldn't you have to use a tap that is made to cut threads to the bottom of the hole. I would think that because of the taper of a normal tap, it would not clean much of the threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:35 pm:

There's enough room to run tap in far enough to get good threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 01:02 am:

Thanks. That works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 06:08 pm:

Mark, that would be a "bottoming" tap, and are as easy to get as the tapered ones at places such as Fastenal or McMaster-Carr, etc.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration