Mohawk Aux. Trans Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Mohawk Aux. Trans Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 10:51 pm:

Ok, just ran across this on ebay. Mohawk overdrive Trans. Anybody know anything about these? Is the one pictured adaptable to a Model T?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140293931274&sspag ename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

Now I wait to get outbid:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 01:48 am:

Looks cool Scott and you cant beat the price. Wish the guy would give some info on it though, looks like he is saying it was on a TT ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 02:26 am:

I need a more expert eye to tell me that whats there will in fact fit a T. All I've found so far is this.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/01/books/chapters/chapter-autos-model-t.html?_r=1 &pagewanted=5&ref=automobiles
And it only mentions it by name??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 04:31 am:

Scott - Looks to me like the only mention of Mowhawk in that article has to do with accessory brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 05:08 pm:

Anyone? Anyone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 11:23 pm:

Scott

Scanned this adv on the Mohawk from Oct 1923 issue of Ford Owner and Dealer.

Ad pretty much explains the application to the Ford. Not sure how that forward mounted universal joint fits or if part of that forward univ is missing. Attached pic of the eBay part to compare. Seems to be a pretty neat unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 11:54 pm:

The shift lever appears to be missing from the tower. Could someone explain what appears to be a brake lever on the side?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 12:04 am:

John

The shift lever isn't missing, its just hidden in that pic from eBay, see these pics from the same auction.

I think the brake lever is there for a reason ?, This unit may have a neutral position, and having a quick lever to apply accessory rear brakes or the std Ford emerg brakes would be handy right there.

The copy in the ad reads "Right hand emergency brake also adds to efficiency of operation".

Or maybe better stated "The handy brake lever is nice for that 'Whoa Nelly' time when shifting and hitting neutral instead!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 12:14 am:

I should have looked it up before I commented. That's a good idea to have a "Whoa Nelly" brake handle right beside the shifter. Thanks Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 01:17 am:

Dan, Thanks for that. Very Cool. I copied the picture and will try to make myself a hard copy. Looks to be OK for Car's as well as trucks.
John, I asked the seller the same question, One lever or Two. He also said he was going to post pic's of the two ends. I wanted to see the flanges.
Well, I've already been outbid:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:32 pm:

Got it! Now when I get that far, How does one go about shortening the driveline? In my mind the torque tube itself should be easy. The driveshaft has me wondering. There has to be a "Proper" way to go about it. Any drawings or instructions out there??
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:45 pm:

The vendors sell the Warford installation book that explains shortening the shaft. Pretty simple if you have access to a vertical mill to square up the cut off end.

As I've posted before, I have an original iron Warford I'd gladly trade for a OD that mounts between the tube and rearend housing. I want the OD, but don't want a shift tower sticking up in the middle of the cab

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:05 am:

Thanks for the info Ray. You sparked an idea in me and I found this.

http://www.modelt.org/m_library.htm

You can find alot of info and print it too.I found an article that was written on a Typewriter about aux. trans. and what to do to fit them.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration