Stromberg LF just out of the box and on the car :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Stromberg LF just out of the box and on the car :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 10:52 pm:

I won an Stromberg LF on e-bay and got it yesterday. Last night I gave it a good spray with engine cleaner and let it soak over night. This AM I filled the tub it was in, leaving the cleaner on it, and gave it a good boiling out. Nice being single! This afternoon I put it on the car after I wire brushed a few spots, like the flange where it bolt to the intake. Hooked up the gas line, let the bowel fill, gave it a few pulls on the crank to prime. Turned on the key and gave a couple of pulls on the crank, the motor took right off. Of course the oil was cold and she tried to run me over, but I won! Didn't have any water in it yet (I have a small weep in the head gasket)so I shut Nellybell off, filled the radiator and re-started her. Everything seems to be correctly adjusted as the motor ran fine.
All the Stromberg's I have seen have a pressed brass cover on the bowel this one is cast and has a PAT date of 1915. Would this make this one early, or did all the LF's come with the cast bowl cover?
Jay, thanks for the email of the manual, it was a great help in knowing how the thing worked and which knobs did what.
Yes, there is a little weep of gas. I am going to shut the gas off and check it's level in the bowl. The float looks ok, but I'll let it sit in the gas to see if it leaks any. Just behind the bowl screw on the left in line with the high speed adjust needle, there is a hole in the casting, does anyone know if it was open or had a plug in it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 12:51 pm:

Most Strombergs you see on T's are the Model "OF". Yours is an "LF", which is a little less common on Model T's in my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 01:37 pm:

The knob on the block side of the carb is the low idle adjust. You can hear the amount of gas being sucked into the motor at idle, sounds like a spritzer down to almost just air coming in depending on how it's set. As soon as the fog lifts and it warms up just a little I am going to take Nellybell out for a drive.
Except for the weep on top, the only gas drip is from the gas line pack nut. I need to replace the packing. This time I will add some soap to it for a better seal. The gas shut off needle will need some work as there is a glob of solder on top, my guess was put there to act as a travel limiter for the gas shut off.
I tried an OF, but I could never get it set right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 02:28 pm:

Glad to see you got the unit up and running. I have uploaded a copy of the LF manual to photobucket at this address http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll242/fordmodelt/StrombergLF/ This is alot easier then offering to email a copy to those interested.

I am still looking for a copy of the Stromberg RF carb and when I find one I will share it with those interested just like the LF catalog.

Jay Buscio, Sacramento, Ca. HAPPY TOURING ALL!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 08:43 pm:

Well the fog never lifted so I took Nellybell for a drive anyway. This carb does not have a dead spot like the Schebler did (I never could get it adjusted to get rid of it). 42 deg's and fog, some of the fog coming from me. I needed the drive, no fun having the car if you can't drive it! At 35+/- (I have not done a speed check on the speedometer yet) I seemed to still have room to increase speed. She is no speed-racer but I think 40/45 on the flat might be good.
Looks like the soap trick stopped the drip and the float does not look to be taking on any gas. Now for some paint, seat cover and tires. I hope before summer!
Jay I am keeping you in mind.
MarkG and Nellybell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 11:47 pm:

Mark, I'm envious. I also have an LF that is waiting to go on my 26 Coupe. I currently have a Vaporizor that is running lean and am pulling the engine to replace the bands and true the tranny. I'm replacing the Vaporizer with regular intake and exhaust manifolds. I wonder if anything can be done to the intake manifold or block to improve breathing.
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 12:12 am:

Noel - One old timer who had a GREAT running T told me he opened up the intake manifold by using a flexible grinder and grinding out about a tea cup of material from it. I think he might have polished the inside of it also to remove any rough surface.

Or another way would be to buy a high volume intake manifold. Chaffin's has one that provides 72 cfm or 60% more volume than the original manifold. The other vendors may have it also.

Like the other guys have said "your mileage may vary" (grin)

Fordially, Keith Gumbinger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 03:18 am:

Thanks :-) I might add, I am running a Bosch dist. and a hot spot intake/exhaust. Within a tight budget I am trying to give her a little more pickup and speed as I had been running 6V to the coils. The magnets need recharging, coil ring is a rebuilt unit and coils need a good over hall (they were set and checked on a Strobo spark unit, but I am just not happy with them, could be the 6V's).
Taking a drive on a nice open country road is not the same as driving in town (and let me tell you, most country roads around this part of Oregon are about the same as driving in town). Most drivers are cool with the T, lots of waves and smiles even in town, but they still want to get on their way.
I will have to find a way to seal the bowl cover and the acorn nut on same. Lots of slosh/weep on the cover and just a little down the sides. Went out and checked on her when I shut off the shop lights, still no drips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 01:49 pm:

Mark: I always shut the gas off at the tank while the car is running and let the gas in the line and carb bowl run out. Our homes gas hot water heater is in the garage and a leaking carb could cause a big ca-boom!! I also make sure the battery is disconnected when putting the cars back in the garage. I had a freak electrical fire start in my speedster from shaking the car while parked....needless to say I have learned my lesson, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 02:03 pm:

Gas fumes are heavier than air. . Jay, isn't your water heater up on a platform, per code? Or is your garage sealed tight?

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 02:20 pm:

The heater is up on a pad, but the garage venting is poor. I like to error on the side of caution. After bumping my speedster while parked and having it start on fire I have become much more proactive in the safety department. A puddle of gas on the floor in the garage is not a good thing for any reason. The fickle finger of faith has a way of poking you in the eye when you least expect it!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 02:32 pm:

NO problem on that account. My T is parked in a lean to with blue harbor freight tarps for walls. The only open flame or close to open flame is me with one of thoes nasty cig's.
But you are right about gas vapors, no use taking risks where you don't need to!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration