Figure 8 Shackles

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Figure 8 Shackles
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:02 pm:

On a 1913 Touring, which direction do I install the figure 8 shackles. When looking at the car from the front or rear, are the brass oilers on the top or bottom.
It appears that they can be installed either way, but because they are so obvious I would like to install them correctly
Thanks
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:05 pm:

Would it not depend on which side of the spring you are standing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:21 pm:

Jack
I am facing the car
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By warren rollins on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:31 pm:

The shackles have the oilers on the bottom facing front on front or rear on the rear( you are looking at them when in front or standing at the rear). That places the Inside oilers on the top on the springs so they are easy to get to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:35 pm:

Garry -- If you want to be able to get to the oilers to add oil, the visible (easily reached) oiler should be on the bottom, and the one behind the spring should be at the top. Also, if your shackles have only one hole in each "tube", drill them through the other side as well. Otherwise, only one front and one rear shackle's bushings will get oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:36 pm:

Another case of simultaneous posting. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:58 pm:

Mike & Warren
Thanks for the advice.
I understand Mike's idea of drilling the hole completely through the shaft. However, why does the supplier not provide the product in this modified manner. There must be another explanation of why the hole only is on one side.
Any other comments from members are welcome
Thanks
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 10:10 am:

Gary,

Because there would then be someone who would complain that the part was not being made in the original manner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rondupree on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 10:44 am:

I think there is a hole in only one side because if you drill and tap a hole all the way through the shackle there will not be much metal left under the nut (the difference between the ID of the nut threads and the OD of the oiler threads will be pretty small). This will make it very easy to twist off the end of the shackle as you tighten the nut, or leave a very weak place for a crack to start. I think Henry made it right the first time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 11:13 am:

Ron -- We're talking about the 1/8" hole across the center the shackle's shafts. It needs to be drilled through the other side as well, in order for them to work properly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rdupree on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 11:16 am:

Sorry, now I understand. I fully agree with THAT hole. I drilled a cross hole when I rebuilt my original shackles.

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 12:17 pm:

Funny, I just had this discussion with a very well known guy here in California, and he is convinced that the shackles go on the opposite way than we have already agreed on. So, I just dropped it. Let the guy struggle when putting oil in the back shackle!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration