HELP- Thoughts needed on in car charge please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: HELP- Thoughts needed on in car charge please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By zander on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 05:48 am:

I am all set up to do an in car charge for the magnets. BUT my dad phoned (An ex engineer) commenting that when he used to weld they would connect the negative as close to the area being welded as possible to avoid any damage/arcing/pitting to bearing surfaces.

I am doing a recharge with the hogshead off-positive connected to the solder point on the field coil and negative zapping agasint the frame.

Are my babbit engine bearings at risk? Or should I (as he suggested) connect the negative to the front end of the crankshaft?

Thoughts? Experiences?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 10:43 am:

If you connect to the front of the crankshaft you will put the charge through the babbet bearings. As the coils are bolted to the block you need to connect the negative to the block at the frame were the engine mounts to the frame. I have done this recharge, it works if done correctly.

Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 12:34 pm:

If you have your hogshead off, place strips of sheet metal (that just fill the gaps) in between the magnets and coils that you can get to. This will provide a better path for the magnetic field that will charge your magnets and give them a better charge. Rotate the engine 1/2 turn, line everything up with proper polarity, then charge again to insure all magnets get the same amount of charge.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration