Ebay/paypal T part purchases

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Ebay/paypal T part purchases
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lum on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 07:25 am:

Has anyone here had any problems with that auction house operation within the last week or so regarding payments or receipt of payments with your sales or purchases?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 07:52 am:

I just bought a 1924 American Builder magazine using Papal two days ago. It's supposedly in the mail.

"This is the Oct. 1924 issue of the American Builder magazine with 254 pages. For those who are not familiar with the magazine, it was called "THE WORLDS GREATEST BUILDING JOURNAL". Featuring many advertisements and articles (some in Color) for residential and commercial building supplies including windows, doors, flooring, roofing, paints, stucco, household appliances, furnaces, water heaters, sinks, plumbing fixtures, light fixtures, saws, mixers, power equipment and MUCH MUCH MORE! In addition it has numerous pictures (some in Color) of homes, yards, commercial store fronts, high rise buildings, showrooms and the etc. It also has 16 different home styles with their floor plans in COLOR. And last but certainly not least - there are 3 pages of photos of the Model T Ford doing various service duties. What a Great thing Henry Ford did for us when he made that Famous little car!!"

I'm interested in the mag because of our 1925 Spanish style house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 10:41 am:

Oh sure Rick....you bought it for the articles..

And for the real question about PayPal and ebay, I've done 52 transactions in the last 31 days without a hitch.

One thing to know, If you EVER get an email from either ebay or PayPal send it to
spoof@paypal.com
spoof@ebay.com
let them email you back if it's real.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 10:54 am:

Rick, I thought of an even better comeback.

You got it for the TT's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 12:50 pm:

If I find pix of TTs in there, I'll post 'em.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn Pullin on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:15 am:

Thanks for the pic of the new Model T airbags Ricks! They will work just fine for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 08:31 am:

Rick,those magazines have some Smith form atruck ads in them as well as model T trailer ads if you have the same 1 's I have access to.
Intresting reading and the houses look 10 times better than the cookie cutter mess being strewn accross our farmland these days.

btw,do those air bags come with Brunette packageing?Do they have a manual override switch when they get to chattering to much?:>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon Horton on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:36 am:

No problems with ebay or Paypal lately. I've been supporting my family by gradually selling off my garage full of old stuff ever since the construction crash in California so thank goodness for the venue. I do think it's ridiculous that ebay mandates Paypal as the payment method however. As a seller, I should be able to choose how I want or am willing to be paid. Just my worthless 2 pennies!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:46 am:

It guarantees Ebay extra income per transaction, because ultimately, Paypal is owned by Ebay. 'Nuff said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 01:02 pm:

tbay has done even worse than most of the market:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 01:14 pm:

Ebay does not mandate Pay Pal as a payment method. They do mandate that sellers offer it, but you can accept other forms of payment if you and the buyer agree to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 03:00 pm:

As of Jan 15th Pay-pal will be the only way to take payment for the parts you are selling unless it is going to be picked up at your house or bussness. Having had the experence in the past of using a "wrong" word in my title and had the ad pulled tells me they have filters that look for certin words. I just had a custome email me for my address because they were not using Pay-pal and could not get my mailing address.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 08:05 pm:

I know a bunch of folkes,includeing myself,that are boycotting Ebay because of that change.Cash is supposed to be legal tender for all debts public and private.And when you pay cash for a money order,it acts the same.
I really hate the changes accured.I enjoyed Ebay and the contacts made by it.But I just cant grasp being told,"THIS is the way you will be payed or Else".Ditactor ship.And the stock prices,as Ricks has posted,Indicate that I aint alone in my thinking.From what I understand sellers lost alot of rights as far as leaveing negitive feedback for no payers as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 09:32 pm:

I sold my last items last week and stated NO PAY PAL all over the place. Still had several bidders try to pay that way and one that I am 99% sure will leave bad feedback for me but I can only leave pos. or nothing for him. This guy was so bad I lost sleep over the threats but his money order got here yesterday and I sent his item out today. Glad I am never going to use e-bay again.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 09:34 pm:

Like it or not,love it or hate it, Ebay keeps the hobby alive. Instant access to rare and not so rare parts, especially if you live in a remote location with few swapmeets. I actually use it all the time, and look forward to the "brown santa" aka "UPS"... showing up with a package for me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 09:36 pm:

Its no biggie, most guys still accept payment through the mail, either buyer or seller, just email and ask them..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 09:51 pm:

Uncle Sam has been chomping at the bits to start collecting sales tax on everything sold over the Internet and I believe the step to eventually accept Pay-Pal only on Ebay is a way for the government to let Ebay collect it for them.....Michael Pawelek

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:24 am:

You may be right on, Michael. . Calif 540 has a place to pay taxes for items bought for which you had not paid sales tax. . It may even have you swear the amount you put down.

This will also catch some welfare queens and income tax cheats, no doubt. Why else would they refuse a small personal check from somebody with over 100 feedback?

It helps when taxes are applied fairly to all.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:25 am:

Just got my American Builder magazine, and was surprised to see a DeWalt radial arm saw ad.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:49 am:

This has been hashed out here and in another topic, but if you go to Ebay's payment policy, you will see a loooong list of items that are affected by this "Paypal" only policy and one's that are not.

It's only for specific catagories of goods.

If you buy items from any of those catagories, then the Paypal rules will apply.

And if I am not mistaken, the original policy stated that Paypal MUST be listed in your auction as a accepted method of payment, not that cash wasn't king anymore.

I am currently at work and cannot access ebay, because it's locked out by my IT department, but I'm fairly certain that I am correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 01:39 am:

Here is a link to ebays what and how you can receave payment for things you sell.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 05:41 am:

William, respectfully, you are correct in your statement but the argument really doesn't apply unless you are going to buy a complete vehicle. Ebay will allow cash, check, or money order to change hands on large items that aren't the usual items that will be shipped (vehicles, heavy machinery or equipment, boats, real estate) but for parts (Model T?) and other merchandise it is Paypal only. Mentioning other methods, discouraging the use of Paypal, or many other ridiculous rules will get the listing pulled.

I love to see a company's stocks plummet when they push people over the edge! Gets me all warm and fuzzy thinking that just maybe there is a glimmer of hope in the idea that the consumer does still have a say in things :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 01:43 pm:

The sad reality is that Ebay is really the only game in town. After getting my auction pulled for using the word "cash" in the description, I started looking on the web for other auction sites. Of the few I found, the best one had about 11 items listed in my catagory compared to 30,000 on Ebay. By the way, they told me in their form letter to correct my listing and re-list....oh by the way please pay the listing fee again (double). Yeah, sit on it, Ebay!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 05:00 pm:

There is an on-line ED2GO correspondence course that teaches you how to buy and sell on e-bay. The cost is about $100 and it is well worth the price. The course is administered by a college in California.

Click http://www.ed2go.com/index.html for more details.

I haven't taken this course, but the webmaster course I took from them was excellent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 05:19 pm:

Compared to what it was five years ago, eBay really is going down the tubes. They seem to be heading down the path of becoming an online marketplace instead of an online auction service. I've seen good automotive swap meets turn into "flea-markets" too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 05:43 pm:

I just purchased an item this morning from ebay, and told the seller I did not wish to use PayPal, would a cashiers check be ok. Answer......YES.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob sell on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 07:22 pm:

i have an issue with the big items i listed a $65,000.00 boat and it got pulled off because i said you can pay in cash on pick up if you want .
so you better re check rules.
then i listed a model a for $15,000.00 and same thing i offered cash on pick up and it too was popped off imediately!

it is dictatorbay or gitmo bay these days

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 07:49 pm:

Use the words "Payment upon pickup". Read the link I posted above it gives a good and short discription of what you can put in your ad.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration