Rear Axle bearing sleeves

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Rear Axle bearing sleeves
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 05:10 pm:

Over the week end I have been assembling my rear axle. I know that there are left and right bearing sleeves and was paying attention while installing them. I did have a minor problem with the passenger side inner sleeve. After the sleeve was installed in it's hole, (and I didn't notice it immediately) was not completely seated. The dimple was holding the sleeve up enough as to not allow the bearing to enter the sleeve. After removing and inspecting it a few times, I noticed that the sleeve could not be inserted far enough into the axle housing to allow the dimple to fall into the hole. I ground a little of the dimple off the sleeve to get the sleeve to lay flat in it's hole. The other sleeves seem fine. Dumb question, why are the left and right sleeves different. I know they are, but why, what purpose is there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 05:15 pm:

I think this is right? So they roll up bottom to top of the arrow, so they don't hit the point first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 05:51 pm:

They each need to relate to the grease cup hole on the rear of the axle housing to insure proper lubrication. If you reverse them, the grease hole won't be in the proper spot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 05:54 pm:

Another question - did you install in-board oil seals ? On some earlier housings, there isn't enough room for both seal and sleeve. Might need to trim the seal a bit depending which type of seal you installed, if any. If no inner seal, you might just need to rotate the sleeve a skosh to achieve proper alignment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 07:25 pm:

Have not gotten that far yet. I plan on using the large felt and the rubber boot. Thanks for the tip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 08:11 pm:

Mike
If it is 26-7 axle then i would sure instal the inboard "factory" seals. On the earlier cars they may not fit as easily Steve says

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 09:16 pm:

Yes it is 1926. I have the large felts and a set of the rubber boots and am going to attempt to use both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 09:17 pm:

I want to use the felts near the inner bearings and the boots nearer the outer bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 01:14 pm:

I always thought the difference in lefts and rights was to keep the weight of the car off of the joint in the sleeve, on the outers anyway. On a TT (I assume a T is the same), if you have them reversed, the v-slot winds up at the top of the axle housing, right where it is pushing down on the axle. I would think you would want that slot down away from that area so you have a nice smooth surface at the load bearing area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 01:16 pm:

There is no grease hole on the inboard of the housing, but the sleeves still need to be oriented properly. On the inboard sleeves the groove needs to be up, since the weight of the car is on the bottom.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration