Coil got stuck?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Coil got stuck?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By OmarC on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 06:00 pm:

I went out this morning for a ride with the family, about 3 miles into the ride the car started missing and lost power. After I crawled home I check around and found the NO. 1 coil was not firing, I touched it with my finger and it started to fire. What gives? Oh and by the was its 80 degrees and shes running cool with out the water pump. DAM California weather 80 in January!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rdupree on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 06:19 pm:

Could be a couple of things.

Is the coil tight in the coil box? Early coil boxes can deflect, allowing the coil to move away from the contacts. A little folded paper may be needed as a shim between the front of the coil and the coil box to keep the coil in contact. OR you might pull the coil out of the coil box, and look to see if there is an attempt by the coils to transfer metal from one point to another forming a bridge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 09:48 pm:

I agree with Ron Dupree that it sounds like the contact(s) for coil #1 are not making good connection inside the coil box. I would pull out the coil and perhaps all of them and clean up the contact springs with some 3M Scotbrite material. Don't use steel wool or anything that might deposit some metal in the box. Make sure your coil box contacts are original type made from Phosphor Bronze with the usual split down the center so it is in fact 2 contacts at each location. Phosphor bronze has about the same color as brass but is very springy. You might need to add a bit of tension on any lazy contact springs by bending them out a bit. If any of your contacts are copper then they probably are also not split and thus are one single contact. Those have proven to be troublesome and were not original to the box. Original contacts were not copper nor copper plated steel.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration