Phelps wheels?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Phelps wheels?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 07:53 pm:

I have been told these are not Dayton wheels and maybe Phelps, but looking in Speed and Sport I don't think so. I am not sure how many kinds of "dental" drive wheels there were. Any help would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Niedzielski on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 09:05 pm:

Les, I would say it is a Freyer brand of wire wheel. Phelps has a 3 bolt plate on the outside that sucks the hub into the wheel ensuring a positive lock/mesh. (I am not totally use of the spelling, it is either Freyer or Frayer but believe it to be the former). It uses a locking brass nut that has an outer spring loaded finger that holds down onto teeth notches on the outer side of the wheel nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 09:25 pm:

Ed
I can't say I have heard of a Freyer wheel, but that is OK by me. Now if I can find a picture of a hub and cap or better yet buy one to copy (or a set to use)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 10:39 pm:

Les a PHELPS wire wheel is not cone shaped in the middle of the hub, same dia. from front to the rear, if that makes sense

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 10:41 pm:

I'll take measurements of my wheels tommorrow as you did and let you know danuser88@socket.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:22 am:

John
Well these wheels are not cone shaped in the middle if I understand what you are saying correctly. These wheels certainly approximate being the same diameter through the bore.
I will be interested in seeing what your dimensions are.
Thx
Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 08:46 pm:

Les I took one of my wheels to town today to my brothers Manuf co, and the tool and die man, measured it just like you and came w/in a fraction of the size you have, mine are dirty and not cleaned up. but they are PHELPS, I have a set of 5 w/front and rear hubs missing one pc that holds wheels to the hub, however it has a homemade crude pc that will work, mine need rerimming and respoking, but the centers are very solid, took about 15 years to find the rear dental drive hubs, but I have them now They are for sale, also have one extra wheel, these are dental drive 30 x 3 1/2 accy wire wheels, I hate to sell these wheels as I.'ve been saving them back for me, but no snow, and bills just keep coming, normally snowplow and salt a lot by now, worked 3 1/2 days in Dec. danuser88@socket.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 08:46 pm:

Les,
How about Pasco?
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 09:45 pm:

Verne
My first goal was to find out what kind the wheels I have are? If some one who owns Pasco's can look at the pictures or post a picture that would be great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dmc on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 09:46 pm:

Not Pasco. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:18 am:

They are not Pasco, as I also have a set, they are not dental drive but rather 6 pin w/two different size nuts and caps, Les do you not have the hubs for your PHELPS wheels??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:19 am:

John
That is correct.
I have a pretty good set of 4 wheels I will need some spokes which i should order from Buchanans soon i guess but the rims are in nice shape.
I don't have a spare but they will go on a speedster so no good place to carry one anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 07:59 pm:

Boy Les, you sure do turn up some neat stuff!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 08:23 pm:

Jason
I have been at it since 1974

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:57 pm:

And I since 1953-4, been collecting over 50 years

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 12:17 am:

Well John you beat me there!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration