Rods and crank shims Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Rods and crank shims Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 10:57 pm:

Are the shims that say pealable suposed to be .001 thick when and IF you can separate them?

And Just how do you separate them, Most i can get is .003 and cant find the edge to separate anymore
Thanks ....Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 11:47 pm:

Shims on the rods in the '26 are .001 thick. I could separate a layer from the shim pack with a fingernail. Recently adjusted rods & averaged .003 on each rod. Rods have oil scoops & are x grooved. Engine could be cranked by hand, but used starter & battery ignition for initial start after adjusting.

If in doubt, check the removed shim with micrometer for thickness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:26 am:

I've never been able to separate the peelable shims any smaller than .003". When I need a one or two thou shim, I make them from aluminum foil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:31 am:

Peelable shims are in 0.002" thick increments. If you need to change the diameter by 0.001", you can remove 0.002" from one side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Seager on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 02:49 am:

Larry, I am in the process of put my new engine back together, I find that the shims that i have measure .0015 per shim when i measure them. I got this tip from the list. If you take a small propane torch and heat them up on the edge you can take one shim at a time off very easily. I use a lighted magnifying glass so i can see the edge better and an exacto knife to start the peel after i have heated it up.I hold it with a pair of needle nose pliers as it get a little too warm to hold. Works great for me and i never got two shims once with this technique. Hope this helps. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 03:35 pm:

I've often wondered if soaking the shims in acetone, or some other solvent, would break them apart. Also, thought of heating them in boiling water. Mike, (above), seems to have the same idea but it would be nice to simply break them down into a nice little stack to pick and choose from as needed.

Anybody want to try and let us know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 07:00 pm:

When using the torch trick, do the shims have to be separated when still hot, or does the heat permanently weaken the glue?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Seager on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 07:30 pm:

Hal I generally heat it first and then begin trying to separate them. If i cant get them started i heat it a little more. Once I get the corner loose you can peel it right off but if you heat it a little while you are separating, it will not curl up so bad. I just add a little heat and let the knife slice right thru it. Mike

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration