Calling on Spoke Wheel experts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Calling on Spoke Wheel experts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 08:05 am:

I've successfully rebuilt several sets of demountable wheels with commercially available spokes...all wheels/hubs were TIGHT when done.

I now have a matched set of Hays wheels stamped with "H" and J?N 18, 192?.

These wheels have an ID of 20 7/8 inches and with nominal length spokes of 9 5/16", the hubs will fall out of wheel.

All other wheels' fellows I've seen have been 20 3/4" ID which creates a diametral crush of 1/16" for very tight wheels (2x 9 5/16 + hub 2 3/16= 20 13/16 in a 20 3/4 felow), while these wheels won't load/compress the spokes.

I'm loath to make 1/16" washers or slather the hubs with epoxy for new wheels...has anyone asked the spoke manufacturer(s) for special spokes at nominal length of 9 3/8?

Comments will be very much appreciated!

scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:47 pm:

Get a small wood lathe and make your own spokes. Prints are on file at the Benson Ford. Leave the inside spoke ends long, and once they are all in the felloe, then center the wheel on a milling machine and machine the hub center (of the spokes) with a boring bar for a press fit. If the moisture content in your spokes is proper when they are assembled, the wheel should last a long time without getting loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 01:05 pm:

You want Shagbark Hickory, like Tim Moore's tree here:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 01:05 pm:

You want Shagbark Hickory, like Tim Moore's tree here:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 06:57 pm:

does anyone have the dimensions for spokes for a 30 x 3 1/2 wheel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 08:06 am:

I've discovered that Lang's now carries Spokes for Hayes demountable wheels. They look very good. I'll report back as to fit after I build a couple of wheels this weekend.

scott

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration