Babbit thrust washer?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Babbit thrust washer?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:36 am:

Where is the babbit thrust washer at in the rear end assembly? I have read horror stories about them. I have a 25 roadster that I don't know the full history about. Is it reachable without taking the whole differential and rear axles apart?
Howard
25t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:59 am:

Yes Howard you have to take the rear end apart to get at the thurst washers. One on each side of the carrier. Leon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:59 am:

Howard
If your car has a Ruxtell then don't worry, it has a ball bearing that takes the thrust!
Otherwise there is no way to check with out taking it apart as the washers are on each side of the differential gear carrier. They are about 3" od x2" id x 1/4" thick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By farmboy on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:12 pm:

If the babbit thrust washer breaks, you may not even have brakes. The rear axle will have to be pulled out and be split apart. The washers are on each side of diff carrier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 02:04 pm:

Les, the Ruxtell has 1, not 2, babbit thrust washers. I can attest to the fact that the single thrust washer can disintigrate in a Ruxtell and cause the ring to disengage the pinion, especially when hitting the brakes as a light turned red. It happenned on my "new" 26 as I was driving it to the storage shed where I'd planned to tear the rear end apart to check for just that problem.
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 02:54 pm:

..that ole crumbling babbitt thrust washer, when it goes it goes, suddenly or slowly.. but surely...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:03 pm:

Noel
I realize that a Ruxtell does in fact have one thrust washer, however it is on the unloaded side of the carrier assembly. It's sole purpose is to keep the gears from getting too close together say on a hard turn to the left. So if the washer fell apart I can certainly understand that the gears would make some noises but I would not expect the gears to come unmeshed and leave you with no brakes.I assume that the big ball bearing on your Ruxtell was in good reusable condition when you took it apart or was it also worn out or of the incorrect non thrust rated type that you can buy for a lot less money and will fit just fine (just not do the job).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:21 am:

Les, you may be right. I haven't taken the time to pull this particular Ruckstell apart yet. I rebuilt a stock 26 rear end to swap out under the Coupe and plan to work on the Ruckstell later this Spring. I was in high Ruckstell, hit the brakes, and heard a loud bang. The front of the shift assembly broke off and landed on the street. The gears ground as I went through the intersection and I coasted to a stop in a false neutral. I assumed the babbit released and started the cascade. I replaced the shift assembly housing and the gears now mesh, but I pulled it to take apart before I'll trust it again.
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:42 am:

Noel
I think you will find that it was the Ruxtell part that popped into neutral and not the crown and pinion. I think you did the right thing by not driving it until you can look at it further.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 02:33 pm:

Just to add a note here, I don't see how the clearance can open up on a Ruckstell with a correct ball bearing. Les is right, a lot of them have been rebuilt using a standard bearing of the correct size but not the correct type. All ball bearings are sized in metric sizes, it is a 60 x 110 x 22 mm. You need the angular thrust bearing. I use American made SKF 7212BECBY or the similar one that the vendors sell. A standard bearing will run a long time but it is not correct and will eventually wear to the point that it will fail. Correct angular bearings of the quality available today will outlast any of us no matter how many miles we drive. The babbitt washer on the other side of the carrier has little to do in a Ruckstell. I'd be curious to see what you find when you tear that one down, Noel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 04:08 pm:

I'll try to post pictures as I tear it apart.
Thank you, gentlemen.
Noel

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration