Problems resulting from the classifieds

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Problems resulting from the classifieds
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cecil paoletti on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 02:39 pm:

After recently placing an ad in the classified service on this site I have been inundated with both spam and "866" prefix phone calls. Is there any way for the user to delete the classified ad they placed on this site?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( ModelTengine.com ) on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 03:05 pm:

I use a specific email for classifieds on each website I post on. It doesn't slow down the spam, but at least I know where it came from. This websites classified ad is the source for 99% of the garbage I get. I have no idea how to prevent it, other than not posting at all. It's odd that it's mostly from this site, and not the others too.

The last post I placed I think was for a used eight volt battery for a Model T. I got the standard "whats your best prix" email. I was bored, so I wrote back with $500. I got a reply stating that it was ok and they wanted to buy it.... So I wrote back and said "oops, I meant $5,000". That ended it. Stupid scammers.

One piece of advice is not putting your phone number down. Anyone reading that ad has a computer, and can ask for your number in an email.

You can write Bruce and ask him to delete the ad, but your info's already out there... It's sad that greedy morons have to play these games.

The good news is that the rush of junk mail doesn't usually last too long. Just delete them as they come in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 05:12 pm:

Cecil,
you can keep the spam away by listing your e-mail address incorrectly and specify how to change it, for example: smithNOSPAM@abc.com, and state "remove NOSPAM from address". As to the phone calls, do not include you phone number in the ad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce McCalley on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 05:35 pm:

There is nothing we can do to stop these leaches from sending spam. Like the viruses, trojan horses, and other junk that we have to put up with, we just have to live with it. The suggestions above are one way to cope but once they have your address you have been had.
Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 06:13 pm:

Even though I used Jeff Humble's suggestion, I still got contacted by a guy in Spain who assured me that he had my part and all he needed was my bank information for a wire transfer of funds. That was even though my ad said reasonably close to my town. Scammers can't read or have no concept of geography.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 06:57 pm:

Complain to your internet service provider Cecil. They are there to do more than just take your money every month. Our government-owned ISP actively scans emails and isolates those with viruses, and they also block those identified as spam. Every Monday morning I receive an email that lists everything that's been quarantined and I have option to chose which, if any, should be passed on thru to my email account - it works very nice. I never see any junkmail .... I'm almost tempted to send myself some just to re-live old days!!

Get on'em like a hungry dog.

Unfortunately there's not much you can do with the phone number problem. If you have a "Do Not Call" registry if may help to sign up there, but chances are it won't slow things down now.

Always use a junk email address instead of your mail personal one .... and don't post phone numbers.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration