Fender Fit

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Fender Fit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Bunner on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 08:37 pm:

I'm fitting new fenders on my Smith Form-a-Truck. The fenders look to align properly at the front but at the back, they are naturally pushed out 1/2'' to account for the form-a-truck frame. This half inch turns into about 3/4'' at the back of the running boards. So, I have a couple of questions about fender fit.
1. The 1/2'' hole in the model T frame, is that for hood clip clearance? (at front of fender)
It seems that the hole in the fender should align with this hole in order for the headlight hole to line up. This is how I have it now...
2. This question is for Fred Houston or anybody that has a form-a-truck extension. Did your form-a-truck come with any rubber pads put behind the running board brackets to adjust the bracket out for this offset in the frame? Mine came with a couple of 1/4'' pads but I think more is needed as the original fenders had stress fractures from the constant offset and bending from passengers getting in/out of the truck.

I'll try and post some pictures when my camera battery charges up... The truck is ready to start but I need to get the body parts done prior to the gas tank going in... This means I need to make sure other things are fitting properly as well.

Thanks for your assistance!
Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Bunner on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 06:33 pm:

This picture is the fender where it meets the frame. I think it's aligned properly at the front.
fenderToframe

And, this one is the alignment of the fender and running boards but I had to shim the brackets because of the 1/2'' offset at the form-a-truck back end... Anybody have this issue?
brackets

Thanks,
Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Bunner on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 11:02 am:

Can anybody comment on the first question?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 08:48 am:

Yes, the large hole in the frame allows installation of the hood shelf with hood clips, springs, washers (they're tiny) and cotter pins assembled as a unit.

Image is from the Service Manual showing 1924-5 parts.

hood block

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration