Removing Transmission Bands - Hogshead on - RHD

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Removing Transmission Bands - Hogshead on - RHD
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 03:52 am:

I am looking for advice on how to remove bands from a '26 with the hog's head still in place. (They are non-detachable ears).
I believe it is possible with some jiggling - any advice on what to jiggle where?

(RHD engine, so procedure may be different to LHD I guess)

Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 08:13 am:

Adrian,

I thought every 26 - 27 had removable ears? Are you sure?

Either way it may be an easier job removing the hogshead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 02:11 pm:

If the bands really do have the non-detachable ends, the best way to get them out is to pull one end of the band out of the inspection hole and snip the end off. Throw both resulting pieces away and buy a set of the detachable end style.

That being said, I'm with Royce in thinking that the ends should be of the removeable style for a 26. Maybe someone used the old style on clutch and reverse but the wide brake band could only be 26-27 style and really should be of the removeable type. You do realize that there are at least two styles of removeable end? Maybe you're just not used to seeing the type of removeable end your car has?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 03:10 pm:

Thanks guys,
Yes the wide brake band is detachable eared, but someone in the past has used old bands on low and reverse.
I will try and pull out and cut off the ear as I don't need to keep tyhem, and it may be the easiest way. Failing that I will have to pull the hogs head.
My truck does not have much room in the cab, so I am trying to avoid pulling the hogs head if at all possible as it will be a job of great dexterity :-)

Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stanzione on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 06:17 pm:

Adrian,

I have done in car changes on both my 26 Tudor and 26 Touring. If you do not have detachable ends then cutting the band is indeed the best/only way to do this, Then replace with the proper bands. When I did my Touring it took about 2 hours to get them out, re-line and put them back in. They were detachable ear bands. I used one of those coiled up bands with the handle on it to attach and pull them in.

Hope this helps.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration