Fun - the Smart Car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Fun - the Smart Car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:18 am:

These pix came in an email. . I read those things have been a flop in Europe, after massive subsidies, so they're trying to peddle (pedal?) them here. I've seen a couple of them, and know a guy who has two, and loves 'em.

Is this what we'll be forced to drive soon? But look at all the new choices:

Smorvette

Smorsche

Smamborghini

How about a Model T version??

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:42 am:

Photoshop has fooled lots of people over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:57 am:

Bizarro: just saw on tv that a Smart car was in a high speed chase on an LA freeway last night, up to 100 mph, and he got away!

For safety, the cops backed off, but have the lic #.

That should add to its credentials.

I have a pic somewhere of a shortened T; just can't find it right now.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:04 am:

My wife hates Smart cars, people drive them like idiots - it's one of those cars that is like a go-kart, the gas-pedal obviously has 2 positions, open or shut, so they hurtle in & out the traffic. If you watch BBC Top Gear, the Smart is the only car which The Stig has totally and utterly lost control of on the test track.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:38 am:

I have had a Smart car for 3 years (a 2006 Passion Cabrio model) It has a .8 litre 3 cylinder turbo intercooled CDI diesel with a 6 speed trans. A semi automatic I would call it, no torque converter, but a automatic clutch and you can shift it or it will shift itself. It has power windows, mirrors, top, heated seats and cruise. Yesterday i drove to the foundry (about 300 miles round trip) on about 4-5 gallons. I did 75 mph the whole way and carried a good size box of patterns. I am 6'4" tall. Off the light it will run with any traffic and run away from a lot of cars. It will pull virtually any highway hill with out slowing down. I have over 20,000 miles on it with no particular trouble. The biggest draw back is that it needs to go to the dealer for oil changes and it is sold by Mercedes dealers so they cost more than I am used to and parts (filters etc.) are expensive. Is it perfect; NO. I have never not been able to find a parking spot unlike my F250 supercab 4wd.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 02:28 pm:

Makes more sense as a diesel but they don't allow them in California as far as I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 02:58 pm:

I wouldn't want to be in an accident in one of those "Caskets on Wheels"! I guess if you are in an accident and don't survive they could just roll up the windows and dig a small hole and plant you with your car.
I'll bet the truckers love them too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 03:30 pm:

Here is the Model T version of the Smart Car.
Norm
copy of copy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Bowen (Aust.) on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 03:32 pm:

Looks like the can go with some modification.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLtMh20qIp8
Wouldn't catch me in one though.
Regards
Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 03:35 pm:

You can buy a Toyota Corolla for less money and have a better, safer, more reliable car, with nearly the same gas mileage. I think it would be a "smart choice".

On the other hand the "smart car" looks like it could be fun to mess around with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 03:39 pm:

Then too, the Toyota Yaris is only about a foot longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 04:33 pm:

Ha ha, Norman, your car looks a lot like an Austin with wire wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 05:02 pm:

Interesting video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s
Lots more if you google; smart car crash test.
Certainly if you head on into a semi at 70 mph you will be in trouble. Mind you if you head on into another semi with a semi at 70 mph you will be in trouble too.I consider it a calculated risk just like the rest of life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris S. Hill on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 05:04 pm:

I see there here in Cincinnati and they don't really make sense here. Not a bit enough city to justify a 'city' car. Now maybe Chicago or NYC or other large cities.

For the money I'd rather have a Yaris HB. Better yet give me a scooter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By karl v schlachter on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 05:15 pm:

could you imagine highway speeds next to an 18 wheeler thats scary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 05:56 pm:

I would own a Smart car for driving in my small town, but I would rather be driving a Jaguar XK8 on the freeway or highway. Nothing is going to survive a head on with a semi.

The milage that Les reported, 60 to 75 mpg, is quite impressive, especially at 75 mph.

A prize if being offered for a 100 mpg car. I bet a Model T speedster with the .8 L 3 cylinder Diesel could do it. Has to be able to be built commercially. Alread has.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 06:45 pm:

Karl
actually they are amazingly stable at speed on the highway. of course not quite like my F250 but certainly not bad. Each to their own. Take one out for a test drive. I don't own shares in Smart or any dealerships. They are not suitable for towing your T on a trailer although you can buy a trailer hitch to bolt on to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 06:50 pm:

The Toyota Yaris is about $5000 cheaper, has better mileage, warranty, and dealer network. Plus it carries four adults and has a trunk. I too looked at the Smart Car and could not see the point.

If the Smart made 75+ MPG it would be a different story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 07:21 pm:

Forgot I had this pic. . Here you go, Les:

50 mpg is two ounces of fuel per mile, so 100mpg is one ounce per mile, or two tablespoons: BFD.

In 1913, a 1911 Franklin Special Speed Car set an official record of 83.5 mpg, which still stands, I believe. That car is in The Natl Auto Museum in Reno.

Where's the progress?

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 09:19 pm:

Several "Smarts" are showing up around here.

I have watched the video of the 70 mph into a concrete barrier.Being a closed head injury victum and liveing with the problems steming from it everyday I have done alot of research on the subject.In that crash your head would bounce back and forth excessively and your brain would probably be even more Jelly like than before.
A human body just cant take the jolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 03:55 am:

I looked at a Yaris just long enought to say "hellno!" and then bought a Scion XB. Yes, the Scion is ugly, but the Yaris just looks plain silly...like it ought to be driven by Shriner clowns. It would look more correct with a hole in the roof where your head can stick through.

Actually though, it was my first and will be my last vehicle with a foreign name on it. I will no longer do my part to destroy our economy. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey D. Judson on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 04:50 am:

What??? No Smustangs? :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 09:08 am:

Ricks,be carefull who you show that picture to,someone will try it!
I just can visualize that now,some nenkempoop trying to back that thing down a boat ramp and car and all go in the water.I am sure the first thing they would say was,"it pulled it down the road just fine.What happened?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 01:20 pm:

Ray, a neighbor bought one of those Scions, then bought two more and got rid of the family's other daily drivers. I keeps asking him what it will look like when he takes it out of the box - a Mini?

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 01:56 pm:

The Hyabusa Motorcycle engine company makes up a little V8 engine out of two V4 engines and it makes 455 horespower out of about 2600 cc's That is what they put in the Smart car so they can beat a Ferrari with it. It drops right in where the little three cylinder engine used to be. It has a seven speed constant mesh transmission and can be a fun thing to die in.

Hiabusa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 09:56 pm:

455 hp in a SMART? Is that really a "smart" thing to do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Cyr on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 04:23 am:

I was sent a link to this thread by a friend with the suggestion that I provide some information. I own three Model T's and two smarts. My smarts are 2005 and 2006 so they were imported privately before Penske brought in the 2008 U.S. model. I have about 75,000 miles between the two smarts and other than normal service, fluid and filter changes, the only repairs have been flat tires.
I cannot imagine anyone who drives a Model T really being concerned that a smart is unsafe. The smart has the same electronic stability control, traction control, ABS and other goodies that a full size Mercedes has, four air bags, auto tensioning seat belts and a roll bar frame that totally encapsulates the car. No other small car and most larger cars do not have these safety features.
The seating position and ergonomic engineering in the smart is fantastic and is hard to beleive until you spend sometime in one. I have driven from Northwest Washington to Los Angeles several times and twice to Tucson, AZ. The wife and I carry more luggage than we would on an airplane and yes I run all day long at 75 mph. It has the highest gas mileage of any non-hybred gasoline car sold in the U.S.
This post may be a little long winded but I really do love these little cars. One last thing, these cars are an absolute ball to drive and beleive it or not they get more attention everywhere I go than a Model T gets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 05:07 am:

"I cannot imagine anyone who drives a Model T really being concerned that a smart is unsafe."

Dan, believe me, they'd bitch if you hung'em with a new rope, and argue with a fence post that the sky is green.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 05:14 am:

Ralph, its not a "bad" car, just not what I like. My daughter wants it when she gets her license in June (hopefully) so I'm going to give it to her and get a Mustang or something that keeps a bit more money within our borders. I like Detroit iron V8s and something a bit more attractive. The reason I bought it is because it doesn't look like every other cookie-cutter car that everyone is building. Cookie-cutter Jap cars might be fine for subdivision-dwellers who don't mind having something that looks like what everyone else has, but without some sense of styling they might as well be a painted crackerbox...with a Mini inside! hehe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 07:14 pm:

What's this about only a dealer being able to change the oil? I used to think they were cute little cars but if big business says no more home oil changes, then I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. What are you supposed to do in 40 years when there's no dealers supporting them? Drill a 1/2" hole in the side of the crankcase and change the oil that way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:06 am:

If there's a way to get oil in, I can find a way to get it out...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:39 am:

I'm on Chuck's team...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Cyr on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 03:08 am:

Anybody can change the oil. The 2006 and earlier models had no drain plug and you pumped the oil out of the dip stick tube just like you would do on a boat. Most oil change places can do this or you can buy a pump at any marine store. I understand that smart is not the only car to do this but I can't swear to it. The 2008 and 2009 U.S. imported smarts have a conventional drain plug.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration