Model T Upholstery material

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Model T Upholstery material
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:12 am:

I have an all original 1926 Model T Fordor with the original upholstery which is complete but pretty ratty. It is still good enough, however, for an upholsterer to remove and make patterns of the original so the interior can be precisely duplicated. Does anyone know where I can find the original red striped (is it mohair?) upholstery so my upholsterer can order enough to do my interior? The background has a slightly brownish green color, but I realize that, after 82 years, it may have been another color (grey?). Thank you for any help you can provide. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:18 am:

Hello Jim:

I also have the 26 Fordor. Question, what would be the cost of a re-upholstery for this car; if one had the material?

Thanks, Harvey ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard G Goelz on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:26 am:

I think you can get the material from Bill Hirsch, or from Mac's. Harvey you will just need to check around, but i would guess about $2000.+
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:56 am:

Rick:
Very helpful. Thanks for the Info.

Harvey ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By miltont on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:17 pm:

You can get a material sample from MAC's for all colors and material types. The item number is 1G145F. It's a nice sample kit with prices rangeing from $15 ~$60 per yard. The fabric samples is from Cartouche. A kit is around $1500.

Currently restoring 26 Tudor and I will need to go with a kit as I don't have any patterns to use as a reference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 01:00 pm:

Jim,

Is there anything left of your glove box/door flap/pouch?

My '25 is a very late 25 model FORDOR. The upholstery was that baby diaper brownish green color you mention...lol....but one of the doors had a pouch with a flap and I was able to turn that inside out and the material was still like new and did show the original color of the car.

For this one the stripe was in fact a dark blue, but interestingly, the field was also not a darker gray as I have seen in other 25's. The field was what I would call more of a blue gray.

I don't know what the vendors offer as to color charts, never have restored that one, just made up a slip cover to cover the tatters...lol.

Yeah, its a 25 and not a 26, but I also think that contrary to popular opinion of white stripe on gray as being the pre 26 standard, the colors were used in late 25 production also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 03:33 pm:

Mac's has free sample upholstery kits from "Cartouche". Ask for sample card: SAMPLE-T1. It not only has interior samples but roof material samples also.

(No I do not work for MAC's) But I have purchased from them several million times and have always been pleased with the service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave_Sosnoski on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 07:28 pm:

George,

The 23-24 Fordor used a brown upholstery with a white stripe. The 25 Fordors used a blue upholstery with a dark blue stripe. The 26-27 Fordors used a grey uphostery. I believe the color of the stripe matched the color of the body - maroon for the Fordor, green for the Coupe and Tudor. The white stripe was used for the all black cars.

Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 07:59 pm:

Dave,

Thanks for that clarification...I'll print it and add it to my notes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 08:41 am:

Thank you everyone for your very helpful input. What a great group we have here on this Forum. To all of you, here's wishing a very happy safe and prosperous 2009.

Sincerely,

Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 09:50 am:

Jim, I am at about the same point in my 26 Fordor project as you. Do you have any photos of your interior you could share? Additionally, I need a good photo of the sheet metal pan under the rear seat. My interior has been taken apart for a long time, and some of it was missing when I got the car. My car was dark green, with red stripe upholstery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:09 am:

Scott.

Good morning. I'll be glad to. Please send your e-mail address to jim@bvsmulberryrailcar.com and I will send you any photos you specify you need. All of my upholstery is still there in the same type of red striped upholstery you have. Do you need a shot of the sheet metal pan under rhe rear seat from under the car or from the interior? Although I completely restored a 1926 Coupe when I was 16, I am just beginning work on this car but have never worked a Fordor so I have never had the rear seat out. I plan on trying to keep it as original as possible. I have a very talented upholsterer who can make patterns and duplicate precisely, each pleat and seam of the interior seats and interior panels. I just need to locate the original red striped material for him to do this with.

Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration