1911-12 torpedo roadster acetylene generator location

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: 1911-12 torpedo roadster acetylene generator location
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john r. wightman on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 05:45 pm:

I need to drill holes in the running board for the gas generator on my 1911 torpedo. I had to get new running boards, so I am not sure where to put the gas generator holes. The generator I have is a E&J brand, which has a little metal base that clips on the outside of the generator at three different points. It is the little metal base stand, which is bolted onto the running board.

I am guessing that one of the bullets that holds the generator stand to the right board might be one of the bolts which also goes through the running board and the running board bracket, but really don't know for sure.

Can someone tell me where to drill on the running board before I mounted it incorrectly? Thank you for your assistance. Rollie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 06:55 pm:

1911 goes to the rear:

1912 torpedo generator goes right on the Ford script:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 07:00 pm:

My original 1910 roadster/touring runningboards had the three holes punched,not drilled. . Yes, they're splayed on the under side. . I can take pix if it will help.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 07:42 pm:

While the 1912 torpedo and the 1912 touring used the same running boards, the generator was mounted in a different place on the 1912 touring so that the driver could reach the valve. Here's an all original 1912 touring. The generator is mounted forward of the Ford script on the 1912 touring, unlike the 1912 torpedo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Griesenbeck on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 08:35 pm:

John I have an original set of 1911 torpedo ruinning boards if you send me your adress I will do a rubbing of the running board for you and mail it to you. My toredepo is a 1911 built in May it will have a short running board. a 1912 torpedo has a long running board. My car has the Stynoski award for top Ford in 2005. I beleive its in the August/ September issue 2005 ofModel T times. I have also spent about 1200 hours researching this vehicle. Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john r. wightman on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 09:30 pm:

Thanks a gentleman for your responses.

Jon, I will take you up on your offer to send me any rubbing of your running board so I can see where the holes (or blunt punches) go for the acetylene generator. My torpedo has a "born on" date of June 7, 1911, and is about 100 numbers off of Trent B's 1911 torpedo, so the tracing from your running board should be perfect for mine.

Thanks again, Rollie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john r. wightman on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:12 pm:

Hi again Jon: Your email bounced back, showing an undeliverable email address. Could you send me an email and I'll email you back? Thanks, Rollie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Griesenbeck on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:36 pm:

I am at home at my wife's computer my email is joneuro@att.net.

What are your body numbers they should be on the seat riser under the driver and under both doors. I will help you with what ever you need. Being early June yours may have had copper plated hose clamps. I am the guy that created quite a stir showing my torpedo with copper plated hose clamps. The holes for the generator are punched I will also try to take a photo when i get to work and email it to you. How far along are you on the project. I have the formula for the correct blue black. Trent says that is the most correct color he has seen. I sent my back deck to germany and had the paint reverse engineered. Black in shade blue in the sun. No matter what, you must paint the car black first otherwise the sun will show a purple cast in the paint. Blue is opaque so light goes right thru it and bounces back purple against the gray primer. I have tons of documentation if you need more help. Are you building a show or go car? Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Griesenbeck on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:19 am:

Forgot I used the original running boards so I took pictures instead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:22 am:

Jon,

Great works....

Wait until I show the missus how you got three T's into a two car garage! She won't need your phone number for her to be heard...:-):-)

I actually have a garage built 3 cars wide, but only 2 overhead doors offset to the one side...and already have a car chassis in the blind bay on roller dollys, with a body on several creepers behind it. With your pic....I can actually show the missus how 4 can fit in our garage...gonna be a hot time in the old town tonite :-)

Nice trains too...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:34 am:

Jon can you show a picture of the underside of the seat cushion?
Thanks
Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon W Griesenbeck on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:40 pm:

sure but I need to get my digital from work so it won't post till Tuesday and anyone wanting any other photos it add to the list Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon W. Griesenbeck on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 09:12 am:

seat top and bottom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 07:56 pm:

Thank you. I have seen a 1911 touring seat. It had a cloth cover on the bottom with some eyelets to let the air in and out. Supposedly it had been a national 1st place car years ago. I really don't know anything about this but am trying to find out.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration