Wrist Pin Bolts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Wrist Pin Bolts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Watt on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 06:25 pm:

Can someone tell me what would destroy the threads on a wrist pin bolt.
When I was removing the pistons from the rods I had one that the bolt was a struggle to get out and when I got it out the threads were destroyed, however the threads in the rod were almost perfect.
I didnít think it was a big deal and just thought someone striped it the last time it was worked on as I have never run into this before.
I went out to my treasure pile and ended up going through four rods to get a bolt that wasnít striped (the same problem with all of them.)
Is this a common problem and what causes it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 06:48 pm:

Jack
the threads can "hang up" on the wrist pin as you take it out. The wrist pin is really hard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 08:29 pm:

I would say that the unthreaded side of the rod might be slightly out of alignment with the threaded side, which would cause the threads to bind when you take it out. could be the wrist pin as Les suggests.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration