Off topic.Vintage radios

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Off topic.Vintage radios
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 09:36 pm:

I had a good freind that passed away about 4 years ago that was really into antique radio restoration.He was mostly into the Early sets,Atwater Kent,Grebe and similar units.
His widow ask me the other day if I would be intrested in buying some of the stuff.I said yes,although I would be more intrested in the powersupplys and parts from his work bench than the actual radios.
Is there any collectors here that may could shed some light on the value of the average Atwater Kent radios and such?I dont want to pay to much but dont want to be crooked either.Most of the powersupplys are handbuilt variable voltage or Heathkit units.He had a slew of vacuam tubes.I do know 1 other fellow got in there about 2 years ago and what I know of him he was kinda crooked,I am fiqureing he got all the OlA's and such.And he didnt pay but 100 bucks.1 of the blue glass 1's woulda brought that.

Send me a email if you can shed some light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 09:52 pm:

Mack,

There are price guides available that can be very helpful Here is a link

http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/foxweb.dll/moreinfo@d:/dfs/elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?item=B-939

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:23 pm:

Thanks for the reply.I remember haveing a paper catalog to that place years ago.I had forgot about them.
I am fixing to buy a leonard building,12x24,that is fixed up like a office.I will be putting shelves and such in it and useing it for my radio work.All my stuff is in the basement and frankly I cant get to it,and I want to spread out a little from what space i have down there.I aint worked on any old radios in about 3 to 4 years.I miss the fun of listening to the old foot warmers and I am looking forward to getting back into it.
The above listed company doesnt have 1 thing I have been looking for sadly.I need a crystal detector for a crystal set i picked up while in kentucky last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:49 pm:

Mack,

They do have galinum crystals and cats whiskers - I bought some to make am old time crystal set. Im into antique radios as well.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 01:28 am:

I'd be interested in a Radiola 17 if there's one for sale that's restored?
They run anywhere from $50 to $500! Its been a while but I grew up around old vintage radios,... was my dad's hobby!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 02:08 am:

I play around only a little bit with antique radios. I have a couple of AK Battery radios Model 20 and a Model 20 compact. I also have a nice original Floor Model by AK that is a TRF type. I can't remember the Model number on it. The big dollar value AK's are the so called "breadboard" type which don't have any box but are simply a flat board with the tube sockets, tuning capacitors, and audio transformers exposed. These are battery operated sets like my AK 20 and use a large HORN that is direct coupled off the output tube. In good shape these typically go for more than $800 last time I looked but that was a long time ago so they might be worth more now. The wood box battery sets like my Model 20 are about 1/8 the value of the breadboards. Typically floor model sets don't bring as much as cathedral types. I am told it is simply because the floor model sets take up so much room and collectors of radios are no different than collectors of cars. You can only collect so many of them and you are full. There used to be a sort of "Hemmings" to that hobby called "Antique Radio Classified" but it may not be around now since that was before ebay and I think ebay did a lot to hurt that publication whose main line product was classified "for sale" ads. ARC was around when I restored my 2 AK radios.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward R. Levy on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 02:08 am:

Mack,
I know this is a bit off of the topic but when I saw the word Heathkit it reminded me of my over 30 years of building Heathkits all the way from Color Televisions to a simple but indestructible gasoline powered trail bike. Really superior designs, great technical support, and incredible well designed assembly manuals. On my desk remains a 30 year old digital clock which cost about $70.00 in kit form.
The company with headquarters in Benton Harbor Michigan could not in the end compete with the imported competition.
The primary skill needed to assemble a typical kit was good soldering.
Sorry for the digression
Edward R. Levy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 09:13 am:

Edward,when I was a kid and barely into electronics with no money,I had a Heathkit catalog for a wish book.I allways wanted 1 of those really big weather stations.Now that I could afford to get 1,the dang company is belly up.
Folkes dont understand the adventures in building your own stuff.
John,I do know for a fact there is at least 1 breadboard Ak there if not 2.He played those the most.And that is 1 of the very radios she ask if I wanted.Which it is,but I had no real concept of it's value.I do know what she told me to bring in cash to clean up the whole thing and it is starting to look like a bargin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 12:00 pm:

Heathkits were great, but I preferred Eico. I spent every dollar I made as a kid at work buying Eico test equipment kits. Building the kits was my first exposure to electronics. Went on to repairing old radios and televisions then to electronic equipment repair in the army and electrical engineering for North American Aviation/Boeing for 34 years. Still have a basement full of my original Eico test equipment and antique radio tubes and parts. Wish I still had time for both hobbies but Model T's now take up most of my time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leming on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 02:39 pm:

Mack - Im a collector - I have 270 sets - battery and electric. If I can help let me know - I have all of the current price guides. Im always interested in anything early or made in Cincinnati if you see anything

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 03:31 pm:

I have a 1927 Radiola console on consignment in the Antique Mall on East State in Rockford. It's really cheap now. Sorry, can't find a pic.

This 1935 McMurdo Silver in a nice console is beside my desk. Oughta' sell it.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce McCalley on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 04:00 pm:

If you like antique radios, check out www.antiqueradios.org and click on Gazette. There are a good number or articles with photos that I did when I was editor of the Gazette a few years ago.
Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 04:28 pm:

I also have the antique radio bug. I mainly kept my early Westinghouse sets (Aeriola Jr.,Sr.,RC) and my 2 DeForests (Radiohome,D10) and the AK 10C Breadboard. I really like the simple single tube sets like the Crosley Pup and the Grebe CR5, and the little crystal sets.
Ricks-The McMurdo Silver radio is in the same class as the famous Scott radios.
Radios are generally small and 50 or more fit in the space of one Model T.
Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:01 pm:

Thanks Bruce.I will check out the link.
Crosely pup?I will have to look up a photo of 1 because I remember Ken talking about them.I bet he had 1.
I have or had a couple Eico peices.I will have to look them up,seems it was Tv related equipment that I have.
To be honest,my car hobby has took up alot of my time lately,mainly this 47 pontiac since it is in a shop about 12 miles from here.So nice to work in a warm shop.But I have been working on flooring the trunk and inner fender repairs for a MONTH and I am ready to do something else!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Solie on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 03:16 am:

Do any of you guys remembeer the McMurdo-Silver VoMax? Before WW2 it was one of the first commercially available VTVM's. Or Clough-Brengle Oscilloscope? Art in Pahrump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 11:24 am:

I have an unrestored 1935 Clough-Brengle in a closet here in my office, complete with brochure. Made in Lost Angeles. Small world.

The VoMax comes up on tbay once in awhile. I have their signal generator.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 11:39 am:

Crosley Pup radioradio

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:00 pm:

Thanks Howard.I will print that picture and have it in my pocket when I go to look over the stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 10:07 pm:

Does my 1950's junior high school Crystal (set) Radio Receiver project, qualify as vintage? I should dig it out of storage and fire it up?

Harvey .......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 10:43 pm:

I checked with the tubes and more site and they told me by email they didnt have any more of the galena crystal detectors.
I found this place that I can order them from.
http://www.xtalman.com/detectors.html
I picked up a really neat old crystal set while I was visiting Ray last march.Everything there includeing the whisker but just not galena.From what I understand Iron Pyrite will work.I have several quartz rocks out here in the landscapeing I picked up that have chunks of what I called fools gold.I will try some of that to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 11:02 pm:

I'll bet I'm the only one here who listened to the Jan Garber band playing "Harbor Lights" on a cigar box crystal set. It wasn't my radio. We were visiting friends of my folks, and their boy had to turn in because it was a school night. I think this must have been sometime around the end of the war, before I started kindergarten.

Zeke and Miss Kitty are listening to Smilin' Ed's Gang on the Philco. Zeke is a big fan of Froggy the Gremlin, while miss Kitty is fascinated by Squeaky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 08:47 am:

Cute dog.Again I gota run to the basement and make sure my telephone is still hooked up.Looks like it mighta packed it's bags and run!:>)

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration