It's alive! It's alive!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: It's alive! It's alive!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:19 pm:

I wasn't quite as ecstatic as Colin Clive when his monster moved, but I was definitely delighted when the new 1923 touring started and ran. I wasn't able to repair the carburetor, so I borrowed the NH off my TT project, cleaned it up, painted it, and put it on the car. Now the T starts and runs. I started on battery and switched to mag with no problem. The next thing that appears to need attention is the generator. The ammeter shows no charge, and the lights are a big discharge, even with the engine running at a pretty good clip. And then, there's that little water leak from under the right front corner of the head. Seems there's enough tinkering to keep me busy for awhile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:48 pm:

Have you posted some pics of your new car? I remember first reading of your new 23 within the
last ten days or so but I don't think We've seen any
pictures. Dex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:14 pm:

Here it is when I brought it from Nebraska. So far it's in town where I work, still on the trailer, waiting for me to clear some space for it here at home. One of these days I'll have it out in the daylight for a few pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 12:15 am:

Hate to see our good Nebraska cars leave, especially to Kansas :-). Let's see some pics, good luck.

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 02:30 am:

Well done Steve - another step to driveability!
Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 09:28 am:

Hey at-ease now there Rob. I a Jayhawker just rescued from Scotts Bluff Neb. a 1930 Model AA which was turning into Nebraska soil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 03:03 pm:

Congrats Steve, Hope you don't catch pneumonia on a test drive. Nice looking touring car. The nicest thing about those western Nebraska cars and trucks, they,re already sand blasted when you get them. My brother lives near Ashby, Neb. The under-side of his pickup looks chrome plated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 09:53 pm:

Steve:

Avoid running the motor with the generator in this "questionable" state since if there is no load on the generator for whatever reason (like the cutout stuck open), you stand the chance of damaging the generator by spinning it up with no load. I know this seems strange but that is the nature of the design. You can simply connect the post of the generator directly to ground for the time being and this will prevent any harm to it until you get around to fixing the electrical system. The battery will start and run the car for a time without the generator but don't leave the battery sitting around with less than full charge since that is harmful to it too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 05:57 am:

Steve,

Congratulations! That is also an encouragement to many of the rest of us to “get ‘er done!”

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 06:15 am:

Rob, I think what Ty is trying to say is you cornhuskers just let'em rot away?? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 09:25 am:

Ditto Ray :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 09:32 am:

OK, I can't believe someone from arKansas is defending a Kansan. I'm just sad to see our cars going to a foriegn country :-).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 09:34 am:

Ray,

Oops, I was thinking of Mike from AK, not Ray from KY. So much for my feeble attempt at humor. Must need more coffee.

Tyrone, I see how you are.... :-)

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:54 am:

Hey, Rob -- I'm from ARkansas, not Alaska. Better have another cup. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene magmuson on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 11:12 am:

I think the only difference between nebraska and kansas is how it is spelled. flat,flat,flat,flat,flat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 06:54 pm:

Gene, there's an old saying that anybody who says Kansas is flat never rode across it on a bicycle.

John, thanks for the heads up regarding the generator's need for a load. I'll keep that in mind if this problem shows up again. I took the rather unorthodox measure of consulting the Ford shop manual. (When all else fails, read the directions.) It recommended bypassing the cutout, which I did. This caused the ammeter to start showing a charge, even with the lights on. Putting the cutout back in the circuit didn't put a stop to the charging. The book suggests that the lack of charge may have been due to a dirty commutator. I'll look into that tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie in Houston on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 07:11 pm:

Steve, Too high a charge output from the generator can also cause overheating and failure.
The brush plate has a sliding adjustment that lets you set the max amp charge. A car driven strictly during the daylight hours only needs an adjustment of 3 to 5 amps. A setting of over 15 can cause generator failure.
I sure John Regan can help you with a regulator to prevent over or undercharging. Some look like the real thing if you are looking for that "Original look".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene magmuson on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 01:07 pm:

Steve went 50 heading east out of colorado its flat, being from texas i know flat,but the people are great to bikers

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration