Does anyone know where to get Bennett Brakes for a TT?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Does anyone know where to get Bennett Brakes for a TT?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:48 pm:

Rocky Mountains, Bennett.. I don't know. I have seen it written that Bennett will work both ways.. (Hmmm I WAS going to make a joke at this point, but figured against it. Funny thought, though..)

Are Bennett brakes available anywhere? thanks..

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:56 pm:

He-He :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Niedzielski on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:54 pm:

Try Lang's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 12:18 pm:

Unfortunately, Russ Raymond, our manufacturer of Bennett Brakes has died. We are trying to develope another source but it may take a while. AC type small drum brakes are still available but the equalizer assembly is inferior to the Bennett or Rocky Mountain design.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 01:08 pm:

Glen - when did Russ pass away ? I hadn't seen him at the last couple big swap-meets up this way.
Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 05:08 pm:

If your looking for Bennett brakes...there is a TT parked just outside a warehouse on 5th street. Bring your tool box, a jack, and a flashlight and I'll meet you there at midnight!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Niedzielski on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 06:38 pm:

See, there you go. Just because something is in a catalog, it does not mean it will always be available! I remember back about 20 years ago you could order a quality reproduction hand-operated Klaxton horn and all of sudden, poof, gone. Same with other certain particular parts.

Hence the saying:"Buy 'em where you find 'em".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 12:56 pm:

I guess the answer is no...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 01:59 pm:

Michael - As far as I know, the answer is "no", and I've looked around for a set quite a bit. However, when out and about it is possible to find a set, sometimes at swap meets,sometimes as a part of "yard art", and sometimes someone has a set to sell.

I'm reading between the lines a little, but it sounds like you're interested in the Bennetts because they provide equal stopping forward and when backing. It may not really be too big a deal.

New Rocky Mountain sets can be purchased from some of the vendors. The pedal they use, I believe, allows the stock transmission brake to also be in use with the rockies. If you're useing an aux. transmission to get a little speed, the Rockies will not only do fine when moving forward, they are actually better (I think). Meanwhile, unless you're backing downhill with a load, the stock brake and whatever little braking the Rockies provided in reverse should be more than adequate.

I like the Bennetts, but if I were starting from scratch and couldn't find Bennetts, I'd get a set of Rockies for sure. Remember, it's easier to speed the thing up than it is to slow it down!

Anyhow, just my thoughts. Good luck!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 04:23 pm:

When we find used sets, How do we know what BRAND they are as I have a set on an original rear end, some parts rusted in to, but rebuildable??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 09:33 pm:

The Bennetts say BENNETT on the pedal and the equalizer. Also, they are easy to distinguish at the drum. The Bennett band is anchored at the rear center of the band and the actuating mechanism squeezes the two ends together around the drum.

Others are anchored differently. One end of the band is anchored and the other end is connected to the actuating mechanism which pulls the entire band tight around the drum.

I don't know how to distinguish between the other brands, but the Bennets are easy to spot. There was another post a long time ago where someone posted pictures of Bennett brakes on a regular T. Although they use the smaller drum, they looked the same as those used on a TT (only smaller). Maybe the person who posted those pictures will see this post and re-post them for you. I would if I could find them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:52 pm:

Then there are three different models of the (original) Bennett brakes...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:56 pm:

I think so, regualr T small drum, regular T large drum, and TT, but I'm not 100% on this. I know there are at least 2, TT and regular T, but not sure about the situation with large and small drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 06:21 pm:

Different sizes for the T car, plus a larger one with a cast brake drum. Some could be set up as a service brake while others were just emergency brakes.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration