Cartouche Upholstery

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Cartouche Upholstery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Van Wy on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 03:22 am:

A week or so ago i asked about upholstery for a 23-25 cut off touring. Mac`s has the above on sale thru jan 31. Has anyone had recent experience with Cartouche. The prior feedback was all negative but i wondered if things had improved. Thanks, Richard Van Wy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ed nicholson on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 04:27 am:

I put the mac's stuff in a 31 model a, also in a 24 touring with no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 08:29 am:

Last car interior I restored was a '29 A Town Sedan. Cartouche was excellent in every respect ie. material used, pattern fit and also they were very good when I called with a question or two. I just ordered some items from them for my '14 T touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Baker on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:17 am:

i've used their (mac's-cartouche) upholstery kits on several resto projects with fair to good success. the model a kits seem to fit better than some t kits - but they have always been helpful with any problems. i'm currently completing a 27 canadian fordor - well i've found some slight differences in using a 26-27 usa fordor kit. again they have been very helpful in supplying additional material for me to make the needed adjustments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince M on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:30 am:

No problems on my sde curtains

Vince

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:34 am:

I did my '16 touring with a Mac Kit. The biggest complaint I have on the Mac's upholstery are the terse and vague instructions. - not enough detail and a lot of unanswered questions arise. One generic instruction sheet covers the model T and the Model A together.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stanzione on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 12:58 pm:

Richard,

A year ago Mac's ran this same sale and I bought a complete interior for my 26 Tudor. First one I had ever done. It took me a few days but it all went in fine and when I had an any issue I called and they cleared things up for me. From what I can see Cartouche uses the exact same material as anyone else unless you do a custom job. I would do it again.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 02:17 pm:

quote:

From what I can see Cartouche uses the exact same material as anyone else unless you do a custom job. I would do it again.

Tom, with all due respect towards you, nothing could be further from the truth. If one knows what they are looking for, they will immediately see the differences in quality of piece goods and the craftsmanship. Elizabeth at Classtique is light years ahead of Cartouche's quality. We have installed more than just several kits from Cartouche, and will likely install about a dozen kits from Classtique in this year alone. I will never install another Cartouche kit because of past quality issues. How do you explain to a customer that is 500 miles away to "...just bring the car back and we'll have Cartouche re-sew another backrest cover because of the split."?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Parker on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 07:01 pm:

I posted on this topic several weeks ago. My opinions were based on a closed car Cartouche kit purchased in 2003 and a closed car Classtique kit purchased in the fall of 2008. Perhaps there have been changes in the Cartouche product since then. The Classtique kit is more factory authentic than the Cartouche if that is important to you. The correct size windlace and headliner construction are two examples of that. Classtiques' quality and fit were impressive. One example of this was in the door panels. They were a perfect fit in every respect. Cartouche panels required reworking of the fasteners as they did not line up with the holes and the whole panel did not completely cover the door area. I ended up having to use heavy velcro strips at the top. The cowl panels from Classtique again fit perfectly. Cartouche did not. Until I had compared both, I did not totally appreciate the difference. This was also true of the carpet kits. I think the Classtique kit is very forgiving of an amateur installer like myself. A professional could no doubt make either kit look great. As far as the long term durability of the materials, time will tell. I suppose there are variables like how often you drive the car, is the back seat used often, climate, storage issues etc.
I think the very positive thing in all of this is the fact that upholstery kits for the Model T are so readily available. At car shows I often talk to other vintage car owners. Their upholstery costs make the Model T's seem very reasonable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 08:07 pm:

Richard & All:

I wouldn't waste my money on inferior Cartouche ( my opinion ) kits.

I purchased a interior kit for the '26 Runabout, past Christmas was gifted a top kit, all came from Vince Iaccino's company " J V GROUP INTERIORS ". Quality.... period !!

I did have some installation questions, Vince answered in terms amyone with a brain could understand. He backs up his product with service.

Just a happy customer..... usual disclaimer.

Bob Jablonski

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Conklin on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:54 pm:

The Cartouche side curtins I purchased for my 1919 touring were a very poor fit. I would have had a set made made except I needed them quick for a tour. Got to keep the misses happy.
The curtins were way too long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Van Wy on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:02 am:

Thanks to all. Now it's up to me. Am going to check locally but living in Sandpoint Idaho do not have a lot choices. Thanks again. Richard Van Wy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Nicholson on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 01:11 am:

As I said in another post, I am finishing up a 49 ford tudor. We have purchased alot of parts form macs, so we checked on interior kit from them. YIKES, it was through the roof. I also asked about replacment panels, let's say if I tore a door panel, would they make a replacement? There answer, nope, you have to buy the whole kit. I also had already purchased a headliner, carpet, and sunvisors from them and when I priced the kit, I noticed all of these items were also included in the kit. When I explained this to them, they said too bad, maybe I could sell the extra stuff on ebay or something. They were very rude an unwilling to bend. I had all of the interior custom done by a company out east. They did it all from original paterns and it all fit like a glove without ever seeing the car and for half the price! Plus it has a warranty!

Long story short, I have three other Fords to do and the ups truck will not be delivering any boxes from Mac's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 07:37 pm:

Richard: Living in Sandpoint, Idaho, you DO have a world of choice......right here on the internet.

True, one cannot purchase T parts from the guy downtown anymore, we now rely on UPS, FedEx, USPS to bring our goodies.

The premise of getting what you pay for relies on your expectations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison-Montana 500 President on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 12:16 pm:

Dick, I have used Cartouche Open and closed car kits in at leasts 5 cars with no complaints. Ford-N-More is a dealer for them right here in spokane; so if there was a problem there is easy correction. If you're looking into Upholstery... must mean you're getting close to being done, I hope to go touring with you this summer!
Mike Robison

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:00 pm:

Mike - Not to change the subject of this thread, but didn't I see a picture awhile back of a speedster of yours that had a Model T frame and Model A running gear? If so, I'd sure like to hear more about that car and maybe see a photo or two,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:29 am:

A friend of mine put a CarTouche kit in his '24 touring, and they sewed the seams on each side of the top backwards! I don't call that paying attention to originality!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration